F is for Faint

"Hailey, are you going to pay attention or just stare off into space while I speak?"

He asked her annoyed as Hailey hadn't been listening to him the entire day and was constantly staring off into space. The thought didn't even cross him of something being off with Hailey as he was too caught in the assumption she was ignoring him.

"Huh, oh sorry. I'm listening" She said as she tried to focus on Jay. Ever since she had woken up that morning she had been feeling dreadful, she was nauseous and had a pounding headache.

He sighed and shook his head at her obviously not paying attention to him but they could talk more about it later, once he was done explaining to the unit.

***

They had been sat at their desks for what felt like hours looking for any scraps of evidence they could find to help the case.

Hailey hadn't began to feel any better since earlier and Jay wasn't becoming any more lenient with Hailey's seemingly ignorant behaviour towards him. He would roll his eyes each time she asked him to repeat something and sigh when he'd catch her staring off into space.

She was exhausted, resting her chin in her hand as she massaged her temple. Jay didn't see her behaviour as a sign of something being wrong but more as her slacking off her work.

"You know you could try working like the rest of us are" He said bitterly as he looked at her over the desks.

"I am working, I don't see your problem" She said removing her hand from her head.

"Of course you don't see my problem, you'll work for about 5 minutes before you'll find something more interesting to get distracted with" He raised his voice slightly as he spoke angrily.

"Just focus on your own work" She said as she looked back to her computer screen, not in the mood to get into an arguement with Jay.

"Yeah, the work you're not doing" He muttered although she heard him.

"Excuse me? Do you want to repeat that so everyone can hear?" She asked him annoyed whilst trying to focus on the screen long enough to get anything done.

"So now you listen, maybe you could pay some of that attention to the work" He raised his voice, clearly getting more annoyed.

"I'm doing my work Jay, why can't you understand that?" She really wasn't in the mood for arguing but her stubbornness was preventing her from backing down.

"Well maybe because half the time you're not looking at your screen" He was fed up with Hailey and her excuses, he knew she wasn't working.

"Can't you just leave me to do my work?" She said looking absently at the screen.

"Fine, I'll leave" He got up and stormed into the locker room, everyone turned to look at Hailey.

"I'm going to get coffee" She didn't want any coffee, she hadn't even finished her current cup but she couldn't just sit there with all their prying eyes on her.

Once in the breakroom she placed her mug on the conter before leaning her arms against it. She felt light headed all of a sudden and the room began to spin. She massaged her temple although it was doing nothing to help the dizziness.

***

Kim checked the time on her computer before looking back into the breakroom, it didn't usually take Hailey that long to get coffee.

From her desk she had an obstructed view of the breakroom so she couldn't see in clearly.

"It's better to be safe then sorry"

She followed the same path Hailey had taken to the breakroom although she froze in the doorway and her eyes widened.

"Hailey!"

Everyone else looked towards Kim before hurriedly move to stand near her, gasping as they saw. Hailey was unconscious on the breakroom floor, her body sprawled on the ground.

Kim and Vanessa rushed over to Hailey whilst Adam called and ambulance and Kevin informed Voight. The atmosphere became panicked and fearful as they rushed around trying to help.

***

Jay didn't know what had happened, he hadn't heard as he was distracted wity his thoughts and anger in the locker room.

He was confused when he walked into the bullpen to see Hailey and Vanessa missing along with the unit's solemn faces.

No-one had wanted to be the one to tell Jay although he deserved to know, Adam had eventually volunteered to be the one to do it.

Adam stood up, walking towards Jay and placed a comforting hand on his shoulder, which only confused Jay more.

"What's going on? Where's Hailey and Vanessa?" He asked worriedly and their concerned expressions didn't help.

Adam took a deep breath before he spoke.

"Hailey's in the hospital, she was unconscious in the breakroom"