D is for Dinner

It had been a hard week at work for Jay and Hailey and an even harder day. They were both exhausted by the time work had ended and neither particularly wanted to go out but they already had a reservation at a restaurant and decided that it wouldn't be too bad of an idea to spend their night together having dinner.

They were each going to arrive separately to the restaurant as they still had to go home and get ready and found it pointless to pick the other up when they would just need to drop them back home again later. They both just wanted to spend some time apart from each other after the long, infuriating days they've just had stuck with the other person.

Hailey was the first to arrive at the restaurant getting unnecessarily annoyed at the fact that they agreed to be there in 20 minutes and it was bow reaching 25. She sat down at the table scrolling aimlessly through her phone as she awaited Jay's late arrival.

***

10 minutes later, Jay showed up to the restaurant and Hailey rolled her eyes before muttering.

"Finally"

He sighed knowing better than to pick up on her muttering and instead decided on picking up one of the menus laid on the table and began reading through, Hailey repeated his actions picking up the other menu.

When the waiter next came round they ordered there drinks and mains (they definitely weren't in the mood for a three course meal). Now the menus had been taking they had no distractions from talking to each other unless they took joy from sitting in an extremely uncomfortable silence.

"Hey, really sorry for being late for this. Will called and then I got caught up and-" He rambled trying to explain how he had gotten caught up in things, distracted by the tasks resulting in him losing track of time.

Hailey stopped him.

"No, don't worry about it. I shouldn't have been so petty about it" She smiled at him and he smiled back. They both knew that there was still an underlying tension between them but unanimously decided that it would be to leave it to talk about at a later date.

***

They had managed to keep a conversation going until there food arrived, which they could use as an excuse to avoid talking to the other.

Neither wanted to start an arguement here where it would make a big scene and both knew that's what would eventuate if they were to talk about anything seriously here.

"Jay, I'm really sorry that this didn't wasn't as romantic as you planned" She knew that for the entirety of the dinner she wasn't the best person to be around.

"Hails it's fine, there will be other times we can go to dinner besides neither of us are that good company right now anyway" He smiled as he spoke.

"Is that an invitation that you'll be taking me out to more dinners?" She asked and you could hear the hint of seduction in her voice.

"Maybe it is" He smirked a she raised his eyebrows. Whatever tension there had previously been was all washed away and they spent the rest of the dinner making light hearted jokes and acting as they usually would.