I is for Ice

Jay paced impatiently in his home, waiting for Hailey to arrive. He had invited everyone to come over and watch the Blackhawks game although Hailey was the only one not to have arrived.

Jay, along with the others, had tried calling her phone but she never picked up and the call just went to voicemail.

"Relax man, I'm sure she's fine and just running late," Kevin said, noticing how Jay was on edge.

***

Hailey was far from fine. Her car had broken down leaving her stranded on the side of the road in sub zero temperatures without heatings. Her phone was on and silent and its battery was almost dead anyway so Hailey didn't think to check for missed calls.

Hailey shivered as she sat in the car, her breath visible in the cold air. She rubbed her hands together in an attmept to warm them but it wasn't working.

She knew that she didn't have many options: start walking to Jay's in the freezing cold, try and signal a car for a lift or try and call someone with the limited battery she had left.

She decided upon making a call first as it was the only one which she didn't have to go into the outside for. She called Jay as he was her most recently called number and she couldn't waste time scrolling to find someone specific.

"Hey Hailey, where are you?" He asked worried.

"Not sure, my car's broken down and it's freezing out here," she said, watching as her phone gets closer and closer to dying.

"Is there anything around? Anything to identify the road?" He asked trying to navigate where exactly she was.

"No, not that I can see although it's quite dark outside," she said, panic growing in her voice.

"It's ok Hails, I'm coming to try find you," he said trying to keep his voice confident.

The line cut off after that and Jay hoped it was because her battery ran out or she lost signal instead of it being because something had happened to Hailey.

The journey from Hailey's to his wasn't long back there were multiple routes she could've taken and Jay had no way of telling which way she had took.

The others had heard his phone call to Hailey, or at least Jay's side of the phone call but it was enough to get them worried about where Hailey was and whether or not she was ok.

They all decided to split up, taking different routes from Jay's to Hailey's and hoping that they'll mange to spot Hailey- wherever she was.

***

The temperature dropped the later it got which didn't help Hailey was was still shivering in ber car with no adequate protection against the cold.

She knew they'd be looking for her, or rather hoped they would be, as she didn't know how many longer she could stand being stuck in the cold.

Her cheeks and rose where red from the cold and each breath she took could be seen as a small cloud of smoke.

***

It had been 10 minutes since the call from Hailey and no one had been able to see her or her car anywhere. Jay strained his eyes as her scoured the outside scenery for even a glimpse of Hailey.

They had all been unsuccessful and were losing hope of ever finding Hailey. They didn't know how long she had been stuck or if she had anything which could keep her warm in the terrifying temperatures.

Jay was about to suggest taking a different approach to find her when he spotted something. What is it? It can't be.

It was Hailey's car, he had found her and now he just need to hope that she was ok.