G is for Guest

"E... Erin?" Jay asked, his voice catching in his throat, shocked as the brunette walked up the stairs to the bullpen.

Everyone turned to look at the surprise guest, shocked to see her return: except Vanessa who had never met Erin and only heard a few small things of her.

Hailey froze beside Jay who she had just walked out of the locker room with after he gave her a lift to work. She didn't know how to feel about Erin's return, she had saw how it effected Jay and how it effected the entire unit. Erin had a lot of explaining and apologising to do.

After stopping at the top of the stairs, Erin continued forward towards Voight's office. Everyone watched her, ignoring whatever they had been doing, right until she entered Voight's office and the door shut behind her.

A mixture of confusion and shocked was spread throughout the bullpen, everyone still trying to wrap their head around what just happened.

***

Erin walked out of the office vesude Voight a few minutes later, in which everyone had been looking at each other too shocked to say much.

They all looked at Voight for answers to their internal questions, such as why was Erin here? Or, what did she want?

"Ok everyone as you can see Erin is here, she'll be with us for a few days. Upton and Halstead, Lindsay will be riding with you. End of discussion" Voight explained and Hailey and Jay, not having the chance to do much else before Voight retreated back to his office.

Jay had so much he wanted to say Erin, so much that he wanted to hear her say but he had learnt, after she left, that sometimes it was better to just move on. And he was planning on resurfacing any of those memories soon so he decided to speak and act to her on a professional level.

Hailey saw Jay's tension at Erin's sudden appearance, saw his change in atmosphere. She knew that this would be hard for him but she was going to help him get through it.

"You good?" She asked as she put her hand on his arm reassuringly.

"I guess" He replied, still shaken up, as they walked to their desks and sat down.

***

Erin and Jay both knew that they'd need to talk, both knew ther were things to say but neither knew where to start.

"Hey Jay" Erin began awkwardly, "Can we talk?"

Jay looked at Hailey apprehensively and she nodded back to him. He stood up from his chair, still unsure about it, and followed Erin into the breakroom.

They stood in silence, looking around trying to think of what they could say to each other after all these years.

"I'm sorry" Erin said breaking the silence and Jay looked up at her as a sign for her to continue, "One of the things I regret the most is not talking to you, saying goodbye but I felt like if I did I wouldn't be able to make myself leave afterwards"

She looked the ground sadly was Jay calculated a response.

"It was hard, when you left. I thought that you'd at call or even text but I got nothing. It made me think if what we had was even real if you couldn't at least say goodbye" They were finally getting the unsaid emotions out, venturing into dangerous territory.

"What we had was real, trust me, it's just when I left I wasn't thinking about anything else then leaving" Erin tried to explain but no amount of explaining could make up for what she did, not in Jay's eyes.

"If you came her to rekindle our relationship I've moved on from that a long time ago, if you had come back sooner, when I was confused and upset, then maybe it would've worked but not now. I've moved on from our relationship" Jay felt like a weight had been lifted off his shoulders, finally managing to get all his emotions about it out to Erin.

Erin nodded, it wasn't what she wanted to hear but then she guessed after years he would have moved on from her, she'd just become one of his exes.