one

▸chapter  one◂

"that's what? a three-story fall to the deck? i give you about a one-in-three chance of survival

"that's what? a three-story fall to the deck? i give you about a one-in-three chance of survival." pope spoke, looking up at john b, who was balancing himself on his right foot on the ledge of the house. luna looked up through her sunglasses at her best friend, a smirk on her face as she sipped on a beer. "hm," the boy licked his finger and held it up to check the wind speed, and luna rolled her eyes.

"should i do it?"

"yeah, jump. i'll shoot you on the way down." pope yelled and held up a drill, making luna laugh, "if you die i call dibs on all your shirts and hair products." luna held her beer out to john b, who smirked and winked at her, holding his own beer out to her, "deal."

"jump!" pope chanted, and john b held finger guns out to him, "you gonna shoot me?"

luna shook her head with a smile, glancing at jj, who sat next to her with an unimpressed look.

"they're gonna have japanese toilets with towel warmers," kie walked out of the half-built house, and luna rolled her eyes, "fuckin' kooks man."

"of course they are, why wouldn't they?" jj said, and kie threw her arms out, "this used to be a turtle habitat," she said, and luna sighed, "but who cares about turtles, right?" luna said, disgust dripping from her words.

"i can't have cold towel," jj said, and luna nudged her shoulder to his, "shut up," she giggled, and the boy smiled at her.

"can you please not kill yourself" kie looked up at john b, and shrugged.

"don't spill that beer, i'm not giving you another one." jj yelled at his best friend, who on queue dropped his beer from the roof. the boy looked down at it with a pout, and luna tossed her head back with laughter. "of course you did, like right when i told you not to," jj sighed, making luna laugh harder and pout at the blonde boy, "aw."

"smooth," kie said, as the contents of the beer dripped onto the new deck.

"hey, security's here." pope said, and luna was quick to jump down from her spot, jj landing next to her.

"gary is that you? gary good to see you man!" jj said in a cracky voice, and luna chuckled, looking at kie as the two ran up to each other giggling.

the group began running through the house, splitting up a little to maneuver around. adrenaline flowed through luna's body, along with short laughs as jj hollered while they ran down the steps

luna turned a corner and gasped, skidding to a stop in front of a security guard, "oh, hi gary." the girl poked the man's protruding belly before running away with a laugh, "uh, hey! get back here!" luna laughed, looking behind her at gary as she ran out to the backyard.

luna's white high top converse slapped against the grass lawn as she ran towards the fence, jj hot on her tail.

"last one to the fence has to eat a rotten egg!" jj said, and luna laughed pushing her legs harder before reaching the fence, just seconds before jj, pulling herself up and over the wood.

the girl ran at the van, which john b was driving towards them, "c'mon!" kie hollered opening the door of the van as luna jumped in with a laugh, jj and pope right behind her.

the group laughed as kie shut the door and john b drove off.

"check out Gary, gunnin' for a raise." jj laughed, and luna opened the van door holding a beer, "slow down." she laughed, looking at the running guard.

"lu you're gonna give him a heart attack," kie laughed, and jj appeared behind luna, a hand above her high waisted shorts on her lower back, which was exposed due to her bathing suit top.

"you're so close gary! c'mon big man! you got this!" jj laughed as luna held the beer out to him.

"so close! here you go man, you deserve it! ask for a raise, they definitely don't pay you enough!" luna shouted, tossing him the beer can before leaning back into the van.

"jj, luna stop." kie scorned, and jj laughed, "oh come on, that sort of initiative is just begging to be punished."

luna rolled her eyes, patting jj's back and hopping up front next to john b, who high fived his best friend as they drove away.

the group drove through figure eight, and luna rolled the window down, allowing the wind to blow through her wavy brown hair.

"god, i fuckin' love summer." she said, and john b looked over at her with a smile.

she truly is gorgeous.

jj appeared between the two with a smirk, "i love it too, nice water, great surf, babes in bikini's," jj joked with a laugh, kissing luna's cheek obnoxiously before sitting back, making luna roll her eyes and wipe her cheek, "gross, jj."

that's luna, but we call her lu. she's been one of my best friends since we were 11. she's about as pogue as you can get. she's a true outer banker, she loves to surf, which she's great at, she loves to party and go on adventures, she loves sea life and protecting the planet. when she's not painting sunsets, giving herself tattoos or working at the wreck with kie, she slums it with us. she's pretty cool, all of us have had a crush on her at some point, just like kie, but i mean who wouldn't? they're both gorgeous. her family, going back like 5 generations, have never lived anywhere but the outer banks, every single family member, born and raised. her dads a mechanic, pretty shitty one actually, and her mom bailed on her when she was young, like my mom did. which is one of the reasons i think we bonded so well. she's hella smart, but she doesn't like to brag about it. i think she could easily get a full ride somewhere, but she doesn't want it, she was happy with us. which makes her a true pogue, just like the rest of us.