fourteen

▸chapter fourteen◂

luna grinned up at john b, throwing her arms around him, "where the hell have you been

luna grinned up at john b, throwing her arms around him, "where the hell have you been." john b winked as he pulled away, the two sitting down around the fire, "investigating." luna smiled with a roll of her eyes. "hey, guys, so like my dad's already gonna kill me. so what's this mandatory meeting about?" pope spoke nervously. john b looked at jj, pointing finger guns at him, and jj smiled, causing the girl to look at the blonde boy sitting next to her, "might as well tell him man, before we're gaffed."

"you ready for this?" luna raised an eyebrow.

"yeah." she mumbled.

"so, the gold never went down with the royal merchant."

"oh my god, here we go again with this." pope groaned, but luna shushed him, intrigued.

"hear him out, all right?" jj mumbled.

"it's been here the whole time, it's on the island," john b said smugly, and luna chuckled, "you're joking!"

john b shook his head, "nope."

"oh my god." luna giggled excitedly.

"i'd like to voice my skepticism."

"i'm sure you would, pope. but can i please present you with my evidence, sir?" john b stood, and pope rolled his eyes, motioning for john b to continue, "proceed."

"alright, so, in my backpack—" jj bent down adn grabbed something, "i have a letter from denmark tanny."

"who the hell's that?"

"denmark tanny was a slave that survived the royal merchant wreck. check this out." john b unfolded the paper, handing it to kie.

"ok, so slaves weren't mentioned as crew members on the ship, but my dad, he found the complete manifest. that was his big discovery. so tanny, used the gold from the merchant to buy his freedom."

kie whistled as luna, who reached over and grabbed the paper, inspecting it.

"after that, he bought his farm, drumroll please—" they each slapped their knees excitedly, while luna handed the paper to pope, "tannyhill plantation."

luna's face fell, "tannyhill?"

"yeah, so after that, he used his money to free even more slaves, and then he sold a shit ton of rice, which pissed off all the white planters, and then, they decide to lynch him."