eleven

▸chapter eleven◂

the headphones stuck in luna's ears played gentle music, some by bands, some by solo artists

the headphones stuck in luna's ears played gentle music, some by bands, some by solo artists. lots of marley. the girl hummed to the music as her steady hand held a paintbrush, which was gliding blue across the canvas with a majestic like smoothness. luna was almost in a trance, her mind fully focused on painting the outline of the wave. 

"hey, lulu!" jj whooped, walking into her room. 

the girls back was turned to him, her front facing out her bedroom window.

"lulu!" he shouted again, knowing not to frighten her when she's painting, as it could mess her up.

luna slightly jumped, flinching as she pulled the headphones out of her ears by the strings.

luna spun around, smiling at the sight of the blonde boy, "hey, picasso, what're you working on?" the boy peaked at her canvas, but she shook her head, "you can't look at it until it's done, you know that." she mumbled, turning the easel around and walking over to him, "yeah yeah." jj brushed her off, dropping onto her bed, which lay in the corner of her room.

"get dressed, we're going surfing." jj said, laying back and covering his eyes.

luna just now noticed the boy was wearing his swim trunks with no shirt, and she chuckled, rolling her eyes and grabbing her bathing suit from her drawer, which was a yellow top with black sunflower print bottoms, before walking across the hall into her bathroom.

jj sat up, looking around the room as his eyes landed on a section of her wall, which was covered in polaroids. the boy stood up with a small smile, walking over to the pictures to look at them.

there were at least 50 of them, some of her and john b, her and kie, her and pope. but the one that stood out the most were the ones of her and him. the first picture they ever took together, was john b's 12th birthday party, and the two were wearing their bathing suits. neither of them had hit puberty yet so they looked pretty wonky, but the sight of luna clinging to his back made him smile.

there was one of them at their 8th-grade graduation in the same position, only decked out in their 8th-grade cap and gowns. the boy chuckled at the sight of the girl's short brown hair, which she cut at his house and then continued to cry about.

the next one he saw was of them at last year's end of summer party. they were on their surfboards in the water, the two of them throwing up shaka's with smiles on their faces.

"hey," luna appeared, smiling at the sight of him staring at the pictures.

luna walked over, standing next to him and pointing at a different picture, which was all five of them standing on the sand at the beach. kie was on pope's back, while luna laid across jj and john b's arms, the two of them holding her up. that was the day of kie's 15th birthday party, which was literally just the five of them and big john.