ten

▸chapter ten◂

luna fiddled with the piercing through her septum, her legs dangling over the edge of the dock

luna fiddled with the piercing through her septum, her legs dangling over the edge of the dock. her bag sat next to her, which contained a pair of jean shorts, her wallet and her phone, plus some snacks for her friends. she had decided just to wear a t-shirt on top of her bathing suit, and seeing as how the bruise around her neck was fading quickly, she only applied two layers of foundation to it. she would have taken more time to get ready, such as choosing a bathing suit that wasn't her normal all black one, but she didn't wanna make john b wait. but the boy was now late by 10 minutes to pick her up in the boat, but the last thing she was was irritated. it gave her time to think.

what was gonna really happen if they found the gold? how would they find it, and how long would it take them? what is this secret that big john was talking about that would hurt her? why were her feelings for jj so strong right now? why is it that suddenly she feels this overbearing need to take care of john b? is it bad that she's keeping the actions of her father secret from her friends? what would her father do when

"sorry i'm late, lu!" john b's boat appeared in front of her, and she rolled her eyes, standing up and grabbing her bag, stepping onto the water vehicle. "it's fine, john b."

it was just the two of them, and luna walked over to john b, who was sitting down to steer the boat.

they took off down the marsh, and luna placed a hand on john b's shoulder.

"i just want you to know that i love you, john b."

john b looked up at the girl, shock written over his face.

they'd been friends for years, and the two had only said they loved each other a total of 3 times. the first time was when they were 13, and it was the first day of high school, they were standing in front of the doors, ready to meet up with jj and pope, and they were so nervous they were sweating. they turned to each other and at the same time, they said that they loved each other and they'd be friends forever, no matter what.

the second time was when john b got her a couple fish and a fish tank when she turned 14, and she jumped into his arms saying she loved him, and about a dozen thank yous. she really loves fish.

the third time was when big john went missing, and luna was the first person he called, and she rushed over to comfort him. they laid in his bed that night, her holding him, and he mumbled it before drifting off to sleep.

it was unspoken that the two friends loved each other, they'd known each other for 5 years, how could they not. they were just never super affectionate to each other, they didn't have to be. but with recent events, luna just needed her friends to know she cared about them.