thirteen

▸chapter thirteen◂

"don't let it get in your head bro, there's three of them and two of us

"don't let it get in your head bro, there's three of them and two of us. that's some typical kook shit." jj said and pope shook his head. the four of them stood in hewyards bait shop, luna twirling her bracelets around with a smile. "hell yeah." kie mumbled. "what was your thought process? using your head?" jj asked, making luna giggle. "i don't know man, i just kind of acted off instinct. alright? i was a cornered animal."

luna  nodded, "yes!"

"hey pope, someone here to see you!"

luna turned her head with a smile as heyward came in, but her smile immediately dropped at the sight of the deputy.

"evening, officer." pope stuttered, and the deputy sighed. "i have an arrest for felony destruction of property."

luna's face fell, and she looked over at jj, who held the same facial expression.

"keep your hands on the counter where i can see 'em." luna raised her hands, not trying to get in more trouble.

"whoa. shoupe, what'd he do?" heyward asked, and pope looked back at his friends.

"take a look at the warrant." the deputy said, cuffing pope.

"wait, whoa, you're arresting him?" luna said, shocked.

"you're just gonna arrest my boy?"

"be careful!" kie shouted, but the deputy didn't listen, "anything you say can and will be held against you in the court of law." shoupe began reading off pope's rights, and jj, shook his head, "how much did they pay you?"

"jj, stop." luna mumbled the increasingly aggressive boy.

everyone began shouting as shoupe led pope outside, the group following him.

"you can't arrest him!" luna protested as they stood outside, but heyward held her back.

"it wasn't him!"

luna's head shot over to jj, her eyes wide.

"it was me. he tried to talk me out of it, but i was mad because he'd just been beaten up. i was so sick of those assholes from figure eight that i lost my shit." jj said, approaching the deputy.

"jj-" luna whispered, fear starting to flow through her body.

"i can't let you take the blame for somethin' i did. you've got too much to lose."