Make A Move

Attention Readers! This work is in the process of being re-written so that it makes more sense. Characters and scenes have been edited so please bare with me as I switch things over.
Dylan= Tyler Lockwood
Nate= Luke Parker
Story is set in the dorms of Whitmore College.

  I stand at the door of the small bedroom I occupied for the last two years, a lump forming in my throat. 
     This is for the best. I continue to tell myself. Everyone here will be safe.
     A small sigh escapes me as I shut the door the final time and text Kai that I'll be outside. I creep down the stairs and out the front door, making my way out to the old truck I bought off an acution. I unlock it, throwing my bag in the back seat.
     "You were faster than I expected." I whirl around, hand flying to clutch my chest.
      "Dammit, Kai! Stop doing that!"

      "Sorry," he smirks, clearly not sorry at all. "I found a place for us." I blink, surprised and still trying to get my heart rate down.
       "Where?"

     "Some small mountain town. Its only an 18 hour drive so I figured we could stop at a motel along the way." He waggles his eyebrows at me.

    "Or," I slide my body past his, popping open the drivers door and boosting myself in. "I'll just drive the 18 hours and get it over with."

     "What makes you think I'm letting you drive?" He scrutinizes me.

     "My vehicle," I shrug, acting nonchalant.

     "My directions," he counters. We glower at each other for a moment and then I give, sliding over to the passenger seat and handing him the keys.

     "Don't kill us," I make a point of buckling up and he rolls his eyes at me.

     "Also, five more seconds there  and I would've let you drive." I scoff at him.
    "WOW." I roll my eyes and smack his leg as he settles in and turns on the truck. She rumbles to life, the engine running a lot smoother than one would expect. "Put your seatbelt on at least if you insist on driving." I say as I buckle myself. I can feel Kai roll his eyes but he does so.
And just like that, he pulls out of the driveway and I'm on my way to what I expect to be a very different life from the one I've had till now.
     Kai turns the radio  on and I rest my head against the window. For once Kai isn't talking but driving, occasionally singing along to the music station he has playing. Mile after mile, I finally drift off to sleep.

     "(Y/N), (Y/N)....wake up." I groan, pushing Kai's hand off my shoulder. "Yeesh, you're such a grump." I open my eyes and rub them.
     "What?" I scowl, looking around. We're parked outside a gas station, the clock on the dash reading 4:35am.
     "We have about six hours left and I'm fading. Do you want to drive the rest?" I nod my head, trying to clear the fog.
     "Is the inside still open? I want an energy drink." He chuckles at my request. 
      "It is, but this is why I recommended a hotel. I'll go pay for the gas and some drinks and you pump?"
     "Sure," I rub my eyes again, yawning as he gets out. I take a minute to pull my shoes back on and soon enough I'm waiting outside the pump, shivering in the brisk air.  I turn and look over at the front windows of the gas station, and immediately stiffen at the sight before me. 

     The large windows and bright lights of the gas station allow me to see straight in, where the cashier is looking awfully friendly, and Kai is eating it up.  He's bracing himself against the counter, a smirk that is nothing more than sex on his face. 

     My blood boils. I check the gas pump to see it still isn't set for anything and shake my head. 

     "Unbelievable." As I turn back to get in the truck, considering driving away, I see his wallet sitting there on the center console, and an idea strikes me. I grin, quickly peeking back around to make sure they haven't moved and grab his wallet and mine, soothing my hair from my nap before I enter the station. I walk up to the counter, Kai noticing me immediately. He opens his mouth to speak but I cut him off.

     "Honey! Did you "forget" your wallet again?" I ask sweetly, holding it up and glancing at the cashier with a smile before going back to him. "What did we talk about? Just tell me if you need me to pay. There's really no shame to be in between checks." I nudge him out of the way inserting the card into the reader. "Did he say 30 on 8?" I ask the girl. She's clearly lost interest, because of me calling him "honey" or implying he was broke, I'm not sure. She nod's at me, the card going through without a word.  "Thank you! No receipt! You know, you should really start holding off with the lottery tickets..." I say as I pass back by Kai, handing him his wallet and cracking the energy drink open as I go. He follows me out the door. 

     "Did you really just do that to me?" He asks. I set my drink on the edge of the truck and get the gas going. 

     "Did you really just try flirting with the attending because you didn't want to run out to get your wallet?" He shrugs, caught off guard. 

     "I mean I guess. Free is always nice. and technically it still was thanks to you." He flashes me the sex smirk as the gas handle clicks off, signaling full.

    "Actually, " I pull his card from my back pocket and hand it to him. "You did pay for it." I take a satisfying sip of my energy drink. He shakes his head at me, looking dumbfounded and impressed. "Well, are we going to stand here and freeze to death or...." He smiles, looking at me like I'm some sort of strange creature, and then turns his body so I can get past him and into the drivers seat, watching me while I go. I begin to feel weird under his gaze and close the door, giving him a weird look in the mirror and motioning for him to hurry up and get in the truck. He rolls his eyes at me and comes around the back, settling in to the seat beside me. 

     "You're a clever little thing you know?" I glance at him while starting the vehicle.

     "Little thing?" Is my only response as I pull out of the parking lot, and back onto the ramp for the freeway. 

     "You are a little thing." I can feel him grinning at me and then his hand on my thigh, slowly sliding up. I shake him off.

     "Really, Kai?" I sigh exasperated. "You said you wanted to sleep." 

     "I do want to sleep. With you." He reaches for me again. 

     "I'm driving, knock it off." I smack his hand quickly before returning my attention to the road. 

     "Why are you so moody?" I roll my eyes. 

     "I'm not moody. Now go to sleep." 

     "Don't you want to know where to go?" I sigh, and feel his smirk as he gives me the run down of what exit to take and where to go after that. He turns away then, leaning his head back on the seat. It isn't long before his head lulls to the side. I keep the radio playing quietly, watching as the sky begins to lighten. Eventually, I come across the exit Kai told me to take and after many miles it turns off into a narrow dirt road.
     If he was going to take me into the country to murder me, this would be the place.
     The road starts winding up, more and more trees appearing ahead until I'm cloaked by them, seeing nothing but forest surrounding me on the narrow dirt road.
     The further up I go, the more curious I get, wondering if I've gone to far. I'm about to wake Kai when I come around a bend and into an open clearing, where a log cabin is nestled into the tree line.
     "Kai?" I jostle his leg with my hand until he stirs, eyebrows furrowing in a way that almost looks angry. "Is this it?"
     "Hmm?" He rubs his eyes, looking around as he's still trying to wake up and make sense if his surroundings.  "Oh." He yawns. "Yeah. This is it. Park the truck around the back." His voice is gravelly and I'm confused until I see a small path leading behind the back of the cabin. I follow it around, parking in the small dirt lot behind the house.
     "Where did you find this place?" I turn off the engine, immediately stepping out to get a better view in the morning light.
     The cabin looks like it belongs here, inconspicuously blending with the forset behind it. There's three steps leading up to the back porch deck. A weathered table and chairs sit in the corner, looking sad.
     "Friend of a friend." Kai answers casually. I turn to give him a look.
     "You have friends?" I ask sarcastically.
      "No, actually. But I know someone that does." He grins and walks up the steps to the back door. "Well, come on," he waves me after him. I follow him inside ready to leave behind his past, and bring him into my future.