The Nearness Of You

Tom's POV
We sat on a bench in the town centre. Just enough away from the parties and the pubs, but close enough to where we felt like we were involved.

The bench onlooked a huge river that looked like we were on the sea side.
The dark sky was filled with stars and the air was mild and fresh.

I looked over to my right and Ella was sitting at the opposite end of the bench, looking out at the river while she ate a spoonful of mint-choc-chip ice-cream from the small tub. She looked beautiful. The moonlight's reflection off of the water shone on her face and the light breeze swept her gorgeous hair from her shoulder. Her skin was tan and smooth and the black dress she was wearing fit her so well and made her look like a model.

"Whatcha staring at, Spiderman?" She smiled as she took another spoonful of ice-cream. I shook my head.
"Nothing special." She gasped and kicked my foot lightly with her's.
"You're funny." She laughed.
"It's one of my many talents." I chuckled.

She turned to me, "So what's Hollywood like then?"
"It's...overwhelming." I said.
"How?"
"Having people watching you all the time. If it's not in movies it's on Youtube. And if it's not on Youtube it's on Instagram. I think I have 35 million followers or something like that." She mouthed 'Wow'.
"But then there's paparazzi and people who know who I am but just sit and take photo's of me instead of coming up and asking for one." "Yeesh." She said.

"But that's just the bad side. I have millions of fans and people who support me. I get to meet legends like Robert Downey Jr, and Jake Gyllenhaal and-"
"No way do you know Jake Gyllenhaal." She sat up.
"Yeah he was in the last Spiderman movie." "Holy shit! I love him! He's quite hot." She smiled.
"I'll give you his phone number." I joked.
She gasped, "Don't joke about that." I laughed. "And the job is super rewarding." She nodded, "I bet. I mean you're in Marvel movies...you must be loaded." She laughed. I extended my arm and flashed my watch.

"This is a Rrrrolex watch." I rolled the 'R'. She roller her eyes playfully.
"You're super humble too."
"Oh yeah." I laughed. She giggled and looked back at the river.

"If you just had tonight and tomorrow morning to live...what would you do?" She asked me without taking her eyes off of the water.
"I'd make the most of it." I said.
"That's very vague." She tilted her head.
I sighed, "I'd drink and dance and shout and do some illegal shit."
"And?" She knew that wasn't all of it.
"And...I'd get my last..."
"Fuck?" She finished for me.
"No, kiss."
She turned to me. "You'd rather kiss someone than fuck them?" She sat her empty tub down on the ground.
"I mean I'd rather make love." I said quietly. She smiled.

"So you're that kind of guy."
"What kind of guy?"
"The guy that says that he wouldn't fuck the shit out of a girl and then leave 2 minutes after he cums all over her face." She said bluntly. "Woah, Jesus christ! No I'm not that guy! I'd genuinely just rather have a real connection with someone than use them for sex." I said. She shuffled closer to me.

"Wow...I've never met a male like you." She smiled.
"Well...there's a first for everything." I said. Our faces were quite close, I wasn't sure if she wanted to kiss me or not.

"Let's dance." She smiled again, biting her lip. "What?"
"Come on! Let's pretend like this is the last night of our lives! You wouldn't refuse a dance from a girl on your last night would you?" She tilted her head.
"No I wouldn't." I said. She jumped up. "There's no music." I said. She held her hand out.
"Let's go to a place that does." I took her hand and she dragged me to the nearest place that was playing music.

It was a small, rustic restaurant that had a bar attached to it. There were two couples up and dancing. One was a young couple, probably in their 30's and then there was an elderly couple who were very cute. The song finished and then 'The Nearness Of You' came through the speakers.

"I've never slow danced with anyone before." I admit. She smiled and shook her head as she placed my hands on her waist.
"Well...there's a first for everything." She wrapped her hands around my neck. We swayed  to the music.

*It's not the pale moon that excites me, that thrills and delights me*

She slowly moved closer to me and gently laid her head on my shoulder. I wrapped my arms tightly around her.

"It isn't your sweet conversation that brings this sensation, oh no...it's just the nearness of you." She sang quietly. God she smelled so nice and yes there were odd pieces of cake in her hair but I didn't really care. Her waist was petite and I held her tight and close.

"When you're in my arms, and I feel you so close to me," Her hands edged upwards and she started massaging the back of my head very lightly.

"All my wildest dreams come true." I took her hand from my shoulder and slowly twirled her under my arm. She flashed her white teeth with a smile and I spun her back into my chest but her back was facing me this time. I wrapped my arms around her hips and lower stomach and rested my head on her shoulder. Her head leant against mine and her hands held mine. "To hold you ever so tight." She sang quietly again.

"And to feel in the night the nearness of you." I spun her out and then pulled her back in. Her face nearly collided with mine but she stopped right before. Our faces were centimetres away from touching and my hands were on her hips. She slowly moved her hands up my arms to my chest.

"Do you uh...do you want to, uh..." She whispered.
"Go?" I whispered.
"Yes. Yes, do you want to go?" She whispered and then swallowed.
"Sure." I whispered back. She nodded and took her hands away from my chest. I released her from my hold and we awkwardly walked out of the restaurant.

"So...what would you do if this was your last night?" I asked her.
She hopped up onto the stone parting that was against the river. She held both her hands out for balance as she walked on it.
"I'd eat a bunch of shit, and drink the best wine in the country, and go to the Eiffel Tower, and have the best kiss ever, and the best sex. Then I'd go roof hopping and find a spot that looked over the city perfectly. And then I'd sing at the top of my lungs. But of course I would sing the iconic 'Le Festin'. In honour of Paris and my favourite movie 'Ratatouille'." She laughed. "Let's do it then." I said.

"What?" She stopped and looked at me.
"We don't have to do the kissing thing or the sex thing. But we can do everything else." I said. She jumped off and looked at me.

"Really?"
"Really." I said. She grinned.
"Let's do it."
"So food or drink first?" I asked. She raised an eyebrow.
"Both."