Le Festin

We laid out the picnic blanket and sat down. We took out all the different types of bread and two bottles of red wine and then some pain au chocolat's (they were for me).

"This is amazing." I smiled as I opened a bottle of wine. We didn't have glasses so we just bought a bottle each and we'd just drink out of it.

"What time is it?" Tom asked.
"I have no idea." I said. We clinked our wine bottles and just before we took a drink, chimes rang out through the city.

We looked at each other, "I guess it's midnight." I smiled.
"That's crazy." Tom said and we drank.
"I also think that you hating cheese is crazy." I said jokingly as I took a pain au chocolat out. "It's just not my thing." He laughed.
"Hmm." I hummed.

We laid back on the angled roof and watched the Paris night. It was mild and a cool breeze swept past every once in a while.
There were puddles everywhere and we were still wet from earlier but we had become immune to it now. The Eiffel Tower still twinkled in the dark sky and the big, bright moon shone in the sky.

"So you were here for a wedding right?" I asked. Tom nodded.
"And you're ex was in the bridal party?"
He nodded again.
"Why was it so bad?" I asked and leaned my head on my hand.
"She's practically perfect...she's gorgeous and she's kind and everything but she broke up with me because news got out about us." He said, not looking at me.

"What do you mean?"
"Like paparrazzi pictures. It was only a few and it was only one time but people went at her. A lot of so called 'fans' were being horrible to her and sending her horrible stuff online and she had to put her instagram on private and...it wasn't good. But, it died down after about a week and we got back to normal. Our friends got engaged and I was picked as a groomsman and she was picked as the maid of honour. We thought it would be great and it would be a romantic getaway..." He sighed heavily.
"Then before we were going to leave, another wave of news came out which was my fault. I talked briefly about it to GQ and they published it."

"Shit." I said.
"Yeah and yet another wave of hate and stuff and she just called it quits. She couldn't take it anymore."
"Sorry." I said softly. He shook his head, "Anyway, we danced together for like 2 minutes and she confessed that she still loved me but she can't be with me." He rolled his eyes.
"So I left and that's when I stumbled upon you." He smiled at me.
"Wait so you were kicked out of the wedding party?" I asked. He nodded.
"Holy shit. That's bad I'm so sorry." I said.
"It's fine. I just thought I had found someone special and it went to shit because of my job." He laughed but it wasn't a funny laugh, it was a painful laugh.

"I guess we're both still hung up on our ex's, huh?" I laid my head against the roof.
"After today we can just forget them." I sighed. We stayed silent for a bit just listening to the sounds of Paris.

"I don't want to leave." I sighed. Tom sat up. "What do you mean?"
"I mean...I've loved this." I said. He grinned, "Me too." I smiled and he leaned over and kissed me.
"I think it's time for your Ratatouille song now." Tom smiled.
I gasped, "You remembered!"
I stood up and cleared my throat.
"Les rêves des amoureux sont comme le bon vin. Ils donnent de la joie ou bien du chagrin. Affaibli par la faim je suis malheureux. Volant en chemin tout ce que je peux. Car rien n'est gratuit dans la vie!" I sang at the top of my lungs.

"Jesus Christ Ella, you'll wake up half of the-" We heard someone shouting.
"HELLO?" I shouted and Tom tried to pull me down. We both laughed.
"L'espoir est un plat bien trop vite consommé!" The person shouted.
"Oh my god, they're singing the song!" I laughed.

"No way." Tom said and stood up next to me. "À sauter les repas je suis habitué. Un voleur solitaire est triste à nourrir." I sang.
"À un je suis amer je ne peux réussir. Car rien n'est gratuit." They sang.

"Dans la vie-" There was shouting then we heard a guitar being played. This guy must have been playing a guitar out the window. "Jamais on ne redira," I sang to the music. "This is amazing." Tom said in awe.

"Que la course aux étoiles, ça n'est pas pour moi. Laissez-moi vous émerveiller et prendre mon envol. Nous allons enfin nous régaler!"
I grabbed Tom's hand and we swayed back and forth as I sang and the faint guitar music played. Tom took both of my hand and put us in a waltz position.

"La fête va enfin commencer. Sortez les bouteilles, finis les ennuis. Je dresse la table, de ma nouvelle vie. Je suis heureux à l'idée de ce nouveau destin,"
Tom whirled us around and I was laughing as I was trying to sing.
"Une vie à me cacher et puis libre enfin. Le festin est sur mon chemin!" I sang. Tom spun me out and I gained my balance.
"Une vie à me cacher et puis libre enfin. Le festin est sur mon chemin!" I finished. Then a rupture of claps and cheering came from below us. I bowed and blew kisses to the imaginary crowd.

"Thank you! Thank you!" I laughed.
"That was the best thing that has ever happened to me in my life." Tom said, still in shock. "Same...I love Paris!" I shouted. Cheering erupted again and we laughed and sat back down on the picnic blanket.
"A piece of fancy bread?" Tom offered.
"Oui s'il vous plaît." I smiled and he broke off a piece and handed it to me then took a bit for himself.

"Cheers to Paris." I said.
"Cheers." Tom said and we ate our pieces of bread.
"Where will we go from here?" I asked with bread still in my mouth. "Probably back to the barn to get some sleep because we'll have to get your stuff from your hotel but transport doesn't run this late." Tom said.

I nodded, "Then I'll be going..." I said. Tom took my hand.
"Don't think about that right now." He said with a smile and kissed my knuckles. I thought it would be easy to leave this boy...Turns out it's going to be quite the opposite.