Chapter Four

Celni burst into the hospital. Nurses and doctors were rushing around and hospital beds were swirling across the linoleum floor. The patients were either unconscious or screaming out in pain. As one of the patients was carried by her, she gaped in horror at the massive burns covering one of his legs. He had passed out, but even in sleep his face was contorted with pain.

She stood still for a moment as she watched him be ushered into one of the rooms.

"Move!"

She startled and jumped out of the way as multiple cots carrying wounded soldiers were carried in. They just kept coming.

"Marrila, we've got thirty-seven more for you," one of the soldiers bringing them in called to the nurse at the front desk.

The nurse hastily scribbled on a sheet of paper and then waved her hand towards a hallway. "Take them to Wing D, rooms 304-326."

The soldier nodded and steered the stream of wounded in that direction.

Celni approached the nurse. Half of her hair had fallen down from her bun and was sticking to her neck and forehead with sweat. Her eyes were darting wildly over the chart in her hand as she furiously scribbled on it with a marker.

"Do you know where the soldiers from the other squadron were placed?" Celni asked her.

"The other squadron?" The woman took a second to register what she had said. "Oh, yes. One second." She flipped through the papers in the clipboard before backtracking and landing on one. "Wing B, rooms... 201-205."

"Was the Brigadier General admitted?" Her heart fluttered with anxiety at the thought of Jahier lying unconscious in one of those white-washed rooms. Or... worse.

The nurse finally looked at her head-on and Celni was able to see just how frazzled she was. "Honey, I hardly know who's come in or out of this hospital all day. I'm just trying to find rooms for all of the victims. ID'ing them won't be until much later."

Celni nodded sheepishly. "Right. I'm sorry. Thank you for your help." She gave the woman an encouraging smile before leaving her to do her work. She went towards the stairwell and ran up to the second level.

She followed the directions from signs tacked to the walls to make her way to rooms 201-205. She peeked in the first room. One of the beds was empty. She saw "Released" marked on a sheet next to the bed. There was someone in the other bed. Her leg was propped up, a claw gash down her pale skin.

She went through two more rooms before she saw him sitting upright facing the window and running a hand through his dark mess of hair.

"Jahier!" she exclaimed, relief coating her voice.

He turned around, his signature lopsided grin spreading over his face. "Hey there."

She ran up to him, ready to give him a hug, then stopped short realizing she might hurt him. "Are you okay? Did you get hurt?"

"I'm fine." He pulled her into a hug. "Just a cut from a forest dragon tail and some mild venom burn. Nothing to worry about."

She breathed in his warmth, feeling her anxiety ease. "I was so worried when I heard about Halne." She pulled away to see his eyes darken.

"I heard the news." Jahier pursed his lips. "He was one of the best soldiers I've ever known. I learned so much from him."

"What happened?"

He shook his head. "Haven't heard yet. I was just getting ready to leave the hospital and find someone who knows. Everyone here is too injured to talk about it." He stood up and spoke again before Celni could. "And yes, you can come with." He gave her a smile.