Chapter Twenty-Nine

Celni stared at her hands tucked neatly in her lap. Her hair hung on either side of her vision, hiding her from the world.

She couldn't stop seeing his face.

Every time she closed her eyes, he was there.

"I won't go if you tell me not to."

Why had she let him go?

Her mind felt numb. She was vaguely aware of yelling around her, but she didn't care to listen to the words.

A door slammed open, and a new voice joined the yelling. It was her father. Gradually, his sharp tone cut through the fog in her brain.

"...disaster! Did you really think you could do it all on your own? You are imbeciles, all of you!"

"I did what I thought was necessary!" Srenya snapped in reply. "I rescued those prisoners! Who knows how many would have been dead by the time you sent an army to that city?"

"And how many are dead now?" Reinej said coldly. "Not to mention the fact that your reckless decision killed some of my own soldiers!"

"They weren't your soldiers!" There was a tremor in Srenya's voice now. "You don't own us!"

"Watch your tongue!" Jahier said roughly.

Dyfar spoke next. "I think what Srenya meant, sir, was that we lost one of our own today."

"Isn't that enough punishment?" Rozanel added, finishing his point.

"Apparently not, because none of you are sorry for doing it!" Reinej snapped.

"We did what we thought we had to." Their gazes swiveled to her as Celni spoke. She licked her lips, dry from being shut so long, and continued. "We saw the situation, assessed each possible option, and chose the path we thought was the right one to take. That is what you trained us to do."

"Now she speaks," Srenya muttered.

Anger burned in Celni's lungs as she flashed a daggered look at Srenya. "I'm sorry, did you not want me to cover for your blatant screw up?"

"Like I'm the one that screwed up!" she yelled. She stood up with her hands balled into fists. "You're the one who sent Keran out to die!"

Celni shot up to her feet too. "I wouldn't have had to if you hadn't sent us all on a suicide mission! I warned you what it would cost us, but you wouldn't listen to me!"

"Keran listened to you, and look where that got him!"

"It was his idea, Srenya! He wanted to go! I had to let him, or we'd all be dead right now!"

"You're a liar!" Srenya screamed.

"That's enough!" Reinej bellowed. "Both of you, sit down!"

But Srenya kept standing, holding Celni's gaze. "He was the only one who ever cared for me. And you killed him." There were fierce tears in her eyes as she turned away from her, pushing past Jahier and leaving the room.

Reinej sighed. "This discussion is over. Go to bed, all of you." He jerked his head at Jahier. "Come with me. Dyrnen wants us to look over the progress on the planes." He turned and followed Srenya's path.

Jahier followed, but hesitated as he passed Celni. Their eyes locked for a moment, and he opened his mouth as if he were going to say something. But he said nothing, instead closing his mouth and leaving the room with Reinej.

Struggling to hold back tears, Celni sat back down in her seat, burying her face in her hands. She heard Rozanel, Hyden, and Dyfar walk up to her and felt a hand touch her shoulder.