Chapter Thirty-Five

"Are you okay? You look a little pale." Jahier said, touching her shoulder as they left the building.

"It was just loud, is all." She hesitated for a moment before deciding to speak her mind. "But is this—this whatever it's called—"

"He called it a gun," he interjected.

"—this 'gun' really necessary? I mean, one well placed shot and they're dead. If all of the soldiers had guns, what, would we just kill the entire dragon population?" she asked.

"We're not going to have enough black crystal to give everybody a gun, especially with the mines being blocked off. We'll be lucky to make fifty," Jahier corrected.

Celni folded her arms. "You can't avoid my question like that."

He sighed irritatedly. "Look, Celni. This is a war. And we're up against beasts who are several feet taller than us and have claws, teeth, and wings. Not to mention that each breed has an ability. Technology is our only advantage. And you're wanting us to just forfeit that so what, we can all become best friends and ride off into the sunset together? That's not how war works."

"I know that's not how war works!" Celni snapped. "But have we even tried to talk through our differences? No! We just automatically resorted to violence. What if there's another way to get through this war without everyone dying?"

"War is sacrifice and war is death. And you know what, Celni?" He paused for a moment, looking at her with a hard gaze. "War is a choice. And if you're not willing to make that choice, then maybe you shouldn't be a soldier."

A choice, a sacrifice, a death. Celni closed her eyes and looked away. Already, those words were following her. She looked back at him, eyes cold. "Maybe we just need to face the fact that we don't see eye to eye anymore."

He was silent for a moment. "Maybe we do."

She bit her lip. "I think I'm going to stay here. You can take the car back."

"Fine." He turned and started walking away.

Celni watched him go, unsure how to feel. Was this the Curse? Or was this just him?

She started walking, not knowing where she was headed towards. Eventually she found herself in the Inner Circle, next to the lake that was right in the center of the human territory. She sat down on the rock wall that contained the crystal blue water and watched as people passed by.

The Inner Circle was the most popular place to be in any part of the human territory. It was filled with shops and outdoor markets, and the streets were always crowded with people. For this reason, it was also the most defended area of the human territory. That, and the fact that the secret base was hidden there as well. Either way, it had to be protected, for the sake of many lives.

Somehow, it was a good place to sit and think. The noise of the bargaining between shop owners and their customers, friends meeting up with old friends, and mothers taking their children for walks drowned out her thoughts. The atmosphere lacked the tension and the fear of the war. It was odd, since the war was what she had grown up with. But somehow, looking around... it felt normal to her.

Her eyes found the candy shop. She smiled as a child hopped up and down excitedly as the mom handed him a long licorice stick. It very quickly disappeared into his mouth before he begged for another. The mother laughed and led him out of the candy shop. Celni could almost picture her saying, "No more. We don't want to spoil your dinner."

Would her mother have said that to her if she were still alive? A foggy memory drifted in her mind. Celni saw a woman with soft hazel eyes cupping her hands delicately around her face. "No sweets before dinner, Ni. We don't want to spoil your appetite."