Chapter Thirty-Six

"Come on Sotira! Jump in!" Sephina's cheerful face popped up out of the crystal-blue surface of the ocean. She beckoned Celni with one wing. "The water's really nice today."

"I don't know," Celni muttered hesitantly. The water lapped at the edge of her claws. "I've never swam before." As a dragon, at least.

Two other dragon heads surfaced beside Sephina. It was Zakten and Kulliras.

"It's easy!" Kulliras said. He swam circles around Zakten and Sephina like an excited puppy dog.

"We'll help you," Zakten said. "Or rather, Sephina will. She's the expert." He chuckled, and then dove under the water, his dark purple form melting into the shadows of the ocean floor.

"Are you going to come too?" Celni asked. She turned to Keltaril. He was sitting a fair distance away, looking uncomfortably at the water.

"No, I think I'm going to stay here. Water doesn't exactly... agree with me," he said, grimacing.

"Can fire dragons not go in water?" Celni responded curiously.

"Oh no, they can. Keltaril is just afraid of the water," Sephina said with a smirk.

"It's weird feeling!" he protested. "And you never know what's hiding down there."

"What, is a dragon like you afraid of itty-bitty sharks?" Celni teased.

He lashed his tail defensively. "You're one to talk! You're not going in either."

"Aren't I?" She raised her chin and stepped into the water. The water glided over her scales smoothly—she almost couldn't feel it. It was like she was wearing a wetsuit. "Hey, this actually feels nice." Celni walked out further into the water until the water went up the bend in her legs.

"I told you, the water's great today," Sephina said with a smile. "Why don't you come out a little further? Just start kicking your paws. I promise I'll catch you if you start sinking."

"Stay close, then," Celni said nervously. With a grunt, she pushed off of the sandy floor into deeper water. Without even commanding them to, her paws instantly moved in sync, gently pushing the water behind her. She found herself next to Sephina without even trying.

"Wow, you're a natural!" Sephina cried. She smiled. "I'd like to think that's because there's a little water dragon in that ice dragon blood of yours."

"Maybe," Celni agreed, smiling back. "Maybe we're like distant relatives or something. That would be cool."

"This isn't fair," Keltaril called. "I feel left out. Why did we even agree to go swimming today?"

"Because it's my hatching day, and you should be nice to me," Sephina said, flicking her tail and splashing some water at him.

Keltaril quickly backed up, even though the water droplets came nowhere near him. "Alright, alright, just keep the water in the ocean where it belongs."

Sephina laughed. "Don't tempt me."

Celni eyed the water. "I wonder what would happen if..." She shot a quick stream of ice. It froze a small section of the water, creating what looked like a miniature iceberg. "Cool!" She tapped the ice toward Sephina with a paw. "Look!"

"Ooh!" Sephina tapped it back. "We could make a game out of this."

"Yeah!" Celni reached out to grab the ice.

Suddenly, Kulliras burst out of the water, snatching the ice in his paws. "Got it!"

"No you don't!" Zakten shot out behind him, tackling him back into the water. They tussled beneath the surface, creating large waves that smacked Celni and Sephina in the face.