Chapter Thirty-Eight

Her stomach lurched. She swallowed, the back of her throat stinging. A foul taste lingered on her tongue.

"Lynea, get Celni a drink of water," Drena called.

The words on the page blurred as her vision focused on her hands holding the edge of the letter. Would she really have to die to save everyone? Was there no other way?

Celni remembered the nightmare she had the night she found wings on her back. How she had seen herself shove a sword into her stomach.

Maybe all of her nightmares had been predictions. Maybe she really would have to die.

A choice. A death. A sacrifice.

Lunar had been right.

Dimly, she saw Drena's hands take the letter from her. A cool glass of water replaced it. Celni wrapped her fingers around it, squeezing tight. She took a small sip, feeling the water wash away the sour taste in her mouth.

She remembered the nightmare from the night with Jahier, the last day she remembered her life being normal. She remembered the world she knew being washed away in a thick mixture of human and dragon blood, everything she knew and loved being destroyed. Was that a prediction too?

So how would she know if sacrificing herself would even work? What if she died and nothing happened? Then there would be no one to save them.

But is that just my fear talking? Celni wondered. How selfish am I that I'm not willing to give my life up for thousands of lives?

Her eyes were drawn to the picture of the necklace. It seemed to reach out to her, whispering her name.

She shivered, goosebumps rippling across her skin.

Her pocket vibrated. She pulled out her phone. There was a message from Jahier. Where are you? A few seconds and another message popped up. Mawk wants you here in ten minutes.

Celni slid her phone back into her pants. "I have to go." She handed the glass of water to Lynea, who looked up at her with wide eyes. "Thank you both."

"No need to thank us." Drena's eyes were kind as she looked at Celni, but there was also a wistful sadness in their green depths.

Her eyes shifted to the drawing of the necklace one last time. She resisted the urge to reach out and touch it. "Can I come back to take a look at these again sometime?"

Drena smiled, pulling Lynea close and wrapping her arms around her daughter's shoulders."You are welcome here any time."

Celni smiled back, her lips trembling slightly at their kindness. "Thank you," she murmured.

"Celni?" Drena said. She looked down and Lynea and then back up at her. "Don't let anyone know that we're here."

"Okay, wh—"

Her eyes were hard with fear. "Please."

"Sure," Celni replied, confused. Why were they hiding from the world?

She walked through the tiny house and through the door. She was about to head back into the forest when she heard Lynea call after her.

"Wait!"

She turned around, and there was Lynea giving her another hug. "Everything's going to be okay," the girl whispered.

Celni swallowed back tears and hugged the girl tightly. "You're a special girl, Lynea."

~~*~~

When Celni walked into the Training Arena, there was no one to greet her. There was cheering and hollering coming from within the Arena, however. She started toward the sound when she heard another set of voices coming from the locker room. Intrigued, she stepped forward quietly until she was pressed against the wall.