~ Chapter 2 ~

Mumbo didn't know what to think right now. Xisuma and Doc were whispering to each other and scowling. Mainly scowling. 

Stepping forward, Mumbo asked what was going on. "We've been here for twenty minutes. What exactly are we waiting for?"

"For you to shut up," Doc muttered grouchily.

"For the rest of the hermits to show up, Mumbo. But..." X trailed off.

"Why aren't they here then?" Grian blurted out. The smaller hermit looked a bit on edge and was restlessly rubbing his wrist.

Silence.

"They're probably just working on their bases," Cleo offered.

Finally, Cub arrived, looking as clueless as everyone else and covered in sand as usual.

"What if something happened to them?" Bdubs jumped in. "The head games just ended, or Tag 2: Electric Boogaloo... maybe they fell for a trap?"

Doc was staring intently at X, who finally talked. "Guys..." All heads turned to face him. "There's a glitch on the server. But it isn't normal. You see, there are alternate universes and one of them was in the middle of a war. Somehow during a battle, that universe and ours connected. Now, we are being dragged into that war. Basically."

"What type of war? A prank war?" Hypno asked, glancing at Grian, the server prankster.

"No... All we know is that there are four sides of the war and each side has a leader... which can be any one of us."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WARNING: I DO SHIP GRUMBO

Iskall was gone, Stress was gone and everyone was acting strange. Grian's wings were already sore when he got back to his hobbit hole. Taking off his scarf and sweater, he got into bed and tried to sleep. After about an hour of tossing and turning and trying to not be disturbed by the fact that any one of his friends could tear apart the server, he sat up and pulled out his phone to message Mumbo.

Grian: hey r u asleep?

Mumbo: nah  i cant too worried tbh

After hesitating a moment, he typed again.

Grian: ...can i come over?

Another minutes hesitation.

Mumbo: sure

Putting on his sweater again, Grian made his way to the tunnel connecting his and Mumbo's starter bases, not noticing another hermit watching from the shadows, his robotic eye glowing. When Grian got to Mumbo's base, he saw that he was pacing around, no doubt worrying about the war.

"Hey..." Grian said, awkwardly.

"Hey Grian," Mumbo replied, turning to face the shorter hermit. Mumbo was almost an entire head taller than him.

"I hope I didn't wake you," Grian offered, suddenly feeling guilty if he did.

"No," he said, shaking his head. "I couldn't sleep, I'm just thinking about where Iskall and Stress could be. Hey, you're shaking, are you cold?" It was true, Grian was shaking, but from nervousness.

"No, no I'm just-" he started, but was cut off when Mumbo turned to grab a blanket from his closet. "Just nervous," he finished, as Mumbo passed the blanket to Grian. "Do you think they're okay?"

"Iskall can deal with anything, and he can protect Stress."

"Are you just saying that?"

"No... I think Iskall is a great fighter and will stop at nothing to kill anything that hurts him or his friends. Including diorite. He'll do anything to destroy diorite," Mumbo chuckled, sitting down on his couch (yes, there are couches).

"Did Doc seem strange to you?" Grian asked, sitting down beside Mumbo.

"Oh, definitely. I bet he suspects everyone."

"What do you think started the war? What are the sides? How did it join our world?" Grian rambled on, tired of bottling up all his questions all day.

"I don't know," he sighed.

"But-"

"Grian, you need to sleep, okay?"

"Right, as though I could sleep during a war," he muttered, leaning onto Mumbo's shoulder, yawning.

The next day, Grian woke up still on Mumbo's couch. Sitting up, he saw that Mumbo was busy at his desk, laying out a blueprint.

"Morning," he said, turning around.

"Oh, um, good morning?" he stuttered, rubbing the back of his head. "Um, I should go..."

"Okay, well, you can crash here anytime and stay safe."

"Oh, um, okay," Grian stammered, blushing. Damn it, didn't mean to stay... he thought. "Well, I'm gonna go work on my mansion."

"Okay, stay safe."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Grian started back to the tunnel, thinking about recent events. What is the cause of this? Aargghh, I was so awkward... He's gotta know by n-

He was stopped mid-thought by the sight of Doc standing in his house, standing next to Professor Beak.

"Hello Grian," he said, and even though Grian hadn't made a sound, he knew that he was there. It was unsettling.

"Where were you? Hmm? Last night perhaps?"

That was a little too perceptive for Grian, who kept tripping over his words. "I - uh - I was - w-what are you doing in my home?"

Doc didn't say anything, just tilted his head, as though he was listening to something...

"Oh my god. C-can you re-" Grian started.

"Yes and don't bother asking how; you already know."

It was true; he did know. A couple months ago, the entire server went black, as though it was eaten by a thunder cloud. In fact, there was a crackle in the air. During that time, Grian's back started aching and when the "cloud" lifted, he had wings.

 "Did everyone get magicified?" Grian asked.

"Yes."

"Does that have to do with the war?"

"Maybe," Doc shrugged. "But I came to you for one reason," he carried on, pulling out his bow and arrow.

"Yeah?" Grian asked warily, eyeing the weapon.

"So, there are four sides to this war and I think that you are one of the leaders."

WOoOooO long chapter... 959 words... and another cliffhanger... 

I'm sorry, my little meerkats