~ Chapter 12 ~

"It's okay, Gri," Mumbo said, pulling Grian closer.

"N-no, it won't be," he stuttered, trying to organize his thoughts. Cleo and False were just collateral damage. "I'm next, Mumbo! They're coming for me next," he choked out between tears.
Grian curled closer to Mumbo, trying to escape this fear. It's different from the war, where Skyfall took charge. But now? I'll never come back.
All of the other leaders are gone. It was only Grian left. He looked around the room they were in, trying to actually breathe.

Xisuma had said that everyone should stay in their rooms, unless absolutely necessary. Seeing Grian's reaction to Tango's death, Mumbo offered to stay with him, and of course Iskall tried to lighten to mood by shouting out "sleepover!"
Now they were both comforting Grian, who sat curled up on the bed.

If we don't make it out, what would be your last wish? Iskall's voice rang through his head as he leaned into Mumbo. He pulled out his phone, messaging Iskall.

Grian: im gonna tell him
Grian: can u not be weird about it? and like go look in the closet for something?

Iskall: oOoooooOoooo finallyyyyy ok hang on

Looking up, he looked up to see Iskall get up and walk towards the closet, answering that he was looking for a board game when Mumbo asked.

Sighing, Grian pulled Mumbo to far side of the room, even though there still wasn't enough privacy.
"M-Mumbo? I need to tell you something," he started, shaking a bit. God, am I actually doing this? "If, uh, if we don't make out of-" he was cut off by Mumbo shushing him.

"We will survive, okay? And you aren't going to convince me otherwise."

"Please listen Mumbo." He took a deep breath. "I wanted to tell you that- uh, I think that you're an amazing, wonderful person and, uh, I-I like you. M-more than a friend, that is." Please, please say something, anything. "I, uh, just wanted to tell you in case something happened," he blurted out, looking down. Oh god. "I-I hope this doesn't ruin our friendship, though."

"I didn't know you felt that way, Grian. About me," he said, looking shocked.

"I-I don't expect you to like me back-"

"Yeah, you shouldn't expect me to, I already do." Grian looked up, in surprise and saw Mumbo staring at him, with awe. "Oh god, and I thought I was obvious!" he laughed, squeezing Grian's hand.

But the moment was ruined by a very much audible yell. "Yes, yes, yesssss, finally, you told each other!" Iskall shouted, jumping onto the bed with them, punching their shoulders playfully.

"Wait, Iskall. You knew Mumbo liked me back? And you didn't bother mentioning that?! I was so nervous!"

Iskall shrugged. "His choice to tell you, mate." he laughed again, hugging his friends, all of them acting like teenagers.

Even after all the excitement, Iskall finally managed to fall asleep in his sleeping bag on the floor, and Grian lied down on Mumbo's lap, playing with his moustache.

"You still won't get my moustache, Gri," he laughed, smiling down at him.

"Sure Mumbo, keep telling yourself that," Grian teased.

"Goodnight, Gri," Mumbo said, planting a kiss on his forehead.

"Next time, that better be on the lips," Grian mumbled, yawning.
And for once, Grian was able to forget about the constant death threat, as he snuggled up beside his boyfriend and fell asleep.

Okay so this is shorter than normal but I got tired of murdering ppl so here is some cuteness! (and about 500 words later...)
Thank you for reading Meerkats!