Scene 14 - The Conference

We have returned to the SHADO Mobile Control. Foster watches the conference on a TV monitor, as we also see Straker, Henderson and Ayshea watch at SHADO HQ. Nina Barry and Moonbase watch at the control sphere. Captain Waterman in Sky One also watches from a monitor as he patrols the area, zooming around the castle, as we see Lake and Parry besides the SHADO Mobile. Colonel Lake jumps in next to Foster without a word, as they look at each other to turn to the monitor. The guards have left patrolling around the castle, returning to the Mobiles which are surrounding the castle closely. Mr. McDonald Parry then enters the Mobile, joining at the back.

Parry:

Ay! Fancy buggy you got here! I wonder what leads into here. Another control room. Woah. Hay, I see...

Foster:

Will you remain quiet in here!

They turn back to watch the video at the conference. We then return back to the meeting itself, led by Dylan Jackovick.

Jackovick:

For centuries, Unidentified Flying Objects have been a theory. An idea. A belief. And as we know, UFOs were confirmed in 1970 from a Peter Carlin, now a SHADO operative.

Fareish:

SHADO, Mr. Jackovick?

Jackovick:

Ah. I will explain in a moment. Following this positive evidence from a UFO discovered in Britain. This evidence was presented to a British cabinet minister minutes before a UFO struck his car and killed him, destroying the evidence. My regards to Britain's government.

Gaitskell:

Oh, that's alright Mr. Jackovick.

The possessed Gaitkskell feels smooth and confident, smiling gleefully.

Jackovick:

Following this incident, the UFO threat was confirmed. Hence, SHADO was formed. Supreme Headqauters Alien Defence Organisation.

MacArthur:

So, this SHADO organization, this must be the team that defends the Earth against the UFOs.

Jackovick:

Correct.

MacArthur:

So then why have we delegates not been informed yet?

Jackovick:

The top officials of the UN are aware of its existence, but as we are only their representatives, we may not be so aware of its secret existence. But now you men and women are here today, you are one of a tiny handful of people aware of SHADO.

Fareish:

And what sort of involvement does SHADO create to defend the UFO threat?

Jackovick:

Allow me to explain. SHADO was a fully functioning organization by August 1980, led by Commander Straker. Straker is a disciplined and calculated leader who remains determined to protect Earth from the UFO infiltration. In the past four years, SHADO has defended us from these extraterrestrials. We have learnt a great deal already, but not enough.

MacArthur:

And how does SHADO defend the Earth from these aliens? If were are permitted.

Jackovick:

Of course. We officials keep the information safe as with everything else in our governments and leaderships. This will just be another file to keep safe. If a file can be kept it's so secret. SHADO is on constant stand-by from any hostile Ufoe activity; its first line of defence – SHADO Moonbase. Interceptors are hidden underneath the lunar surface.

We see Moonbase, Mantez and the other Moonnbase Lieutenants.

SHADO's satellites maintain vigilance and report to all SHADO installations. If a UFO penetrates through the Earth's atmosphere, the next line of defence is SHADO's fleet of submarines.

We see Waterman in Skydiver.

However of course, SHADO's secret location is based under a film studio.

We then see Straker and the others at SHADO HQ watching the conference.

And ground defences such as the SHADO Mobiles usually investigate the sites of any alien or UFO activity.

Now we see in SHADO Mobile Control; Foster, Lake and Mr. Parry.

Fareish:

A film studio? Quite a cover-up.

We also hear Sky One fly over the castle once again, Waterman continuously maintaining patrol.

MacArthur:

That will explain Straker's involvement. A Colonel in the armed forces turned film executive.

Straker paid close attention.

Jackovick:

Erm... Yes gentlemen. We don't wish to drift off too far a tangent. However, to the aliens and UFOs themselves, everything we know about the aliens always seems to add up to a dying race. A civilization with its natural resources exhausting. We understand why the aliens are coming to Earth.

Gaitskell stiffens.

Survival! Our bodies. Our hearts. Our organs. Transplant surgery. Who knows what they do to their victims. What we know is still barely scratching the surface. SHADO attempted to explore the alien home planet, only failing due to an error that occurred in the machinery that tracked the spaceship back to its homeworld.

Fareish:

And what do we know of the UFO saucers?

Jackovick:

The UFO spaceships can only last in Earth's atmosphere for a short while before they disintegrate...

Gaitkskell begins smoking, literally! His mouth beginning to pour out a white gas...

Mr. Gaitskell, would you mind not smoking when...

The gas began spreading around him, as the delegates beside him begin backing away their postures slightly. He wasn't smoking. The alien controlling Gaitskell released the poisonous gas. At that moment, the camera blacked out. Panic begins at SHASO HQ and SHADO Mobile Control. Ayshea fiddles with the control on her board as Henderson frowns like a monster at Straker.

Ayshea:

Communications lost.

Straker:

SHADO Mobile Control! Sky One! Moonbase! Are you receiving me?

Foster:

Sir, it's the communications at the castle.

Barry:

There was that white smoke from Gaitakell...

Straker looks at Henderson with his eyes widened realizing the possible results. Inside the conference room however, the delegates begin choking and coughing as the deadly poisonous air fills the hall rapidly out from Gaitskell's mouth. The people start gasping for the last moments of air as some more closer to Gaitskell choke and drop like flies quicker. Jackovick gasps for air horrifically as he too drops down. MacArthur holds his neck as he tries to hit Gaitskell, but struggles against the air as he reaches up to him staggering as he tries to him, failing before he drops to the ground. The delegates die. Some falling onto the table, others collapsing on the ground.

Fareish is the strongest to desperately reach to the massive wooden door as he coughs and chokes uncontrollably. Gaitskell remains sat neutrally at the desk with his arms crossed on the table as his mouth endlessly pours out the toxic gas remaining still. Fareish with all his strength left holds the handles to attempt to break out. More fumes then are expelled out to his area as the delegate is left coughing and wheezing as he drops to the ground tightly holding the handles whilst on his knees. As he dies horribly, he sinks down to the ground with an open mouth and widened eyes. Gaitskell closes his mouth. The gas stops.