Chapter 18

"You can't just take away him!" Margaret screamed as she bravely stood in front of knights, protecting an old farmer from being taken away, "He is old and he still works for his family, have you no empathy?!"

"Step aside, this is none of your business!" a knight demanded

"I'm making this my business!" Margaret stepped forward, challenging the knight

"Who do you think you are?! This is the queen's orders! It is law!"

"Then tell her majesty, this law is unfair to those who are struggling and to acquire kindness with the wealth she stole from other kingdoms!"

The knight was shocked and angered by the what Margaret had spit out, directly to his face, "you disrespectful lowlife of a woman! You will not let us arrest him? Then we will arrest you instead!"

Margaret was ready to fight, grabbing the hoe that was near her feet, "I'm not going without a fight!"

A fight was about to break lose, when a knight of higher status approached them, "halt!" he yelled, taking their attention

"The queen has ordered to leave them be" he said, "let's go"

The knight looked at Margaret with a scowl and went back to his horse, escorting the royal carriage as they went ahead

Margaret turned to the old farmer and checked her condition as well as making sure his family wasn't harmed. Unbeknownst to her, eyes of royalty watched closely, impressed by her valor, enraptured by her beauty.

o=o=o=o=o

Margaret went around the market as per her usual doing, gathering food for her family. She was well-known and well-loved by many of the townsfolk because of her kindness and her bright fiery ball of bravery. She helped those who needed it and defended those who are innocent. So a walk around town for her is also a walk filled with smiles, stories and greetings.

"Five apples please" Margaret said, as the man on the fruit stand bagged her order

At the corner of the street, stood a female figure in full garment, wearing a scarf covering half her face and she just stood there watching, admiring Margaret from a far. When she goes to another place, she would follow in a safe distance.

Margaret was quick to notice the woman's presence around her but decided to let her be as she seems to be harmless. That went on for days until one day during her usual walk, the woman wasn't there.

"That's strange. She's not here" Despite her curiosity, Margaret went on with her day.

She passed by a flower stand and was abruptly stopped by the owner

"Excuse me, Margaret" she said, "Someone wanted me to give you this" and then handed Margaret a bouquet of pink lilies

"Who is it from?"

"An admirer"

Margaret looked around the area, searching for that mysterious woman. She was sure this was from her, but she was nowhere in sight and so she just took the bouquet, "They're lovely" she said, smiling

o=o=o=o=o

A number of days passed and Margaret's admirer didn't reappear and so she moved on and went with her usual doings. That is until one day, her admirer decided to introduce herself.

A knock on the door startled Margaret who was quietly reading in her room

"Margaret" Her mother opened the door and peeked, "You have a visitor" she said with slight worry in her tone