Chapter 5 - The Strange Mask

Aron went a bit closer to the vehicle.

"I was right! This van does suits to the description given by the woman on the reception." He said to himself “But there is no one around here. I have a feeling that something is wrong here."

He led his way towards the abandoned house. On the way, he found some stamped weeds which were leading to the rear of the house.

“Could these stampings be of the same men I saw.” He thought. Aron followed the stampings which lead him to the back door of the house and checked if it was unlocked. Unfortunately, it was locked.

"If the back door is locked, where are these men?" He said to himself “could it b—"

He was about to continue when came a sound from the house as if someone was trying to open the locked door from inside. Aron had few minutes to think, if he is caught then there was no doubt that he would be in a trouble in some way or the other. At that point he could only think of hiding in a bush nearby the door. Just as he jumped into the bushes and hid himself, the next second the door was wide open and a man was coming out just before he tripped and fell. The torch he had fell near his face. Aron couldn’t see much through the bush but he somehow managed to see the face of the man in the torch light.

"There you go, Rocky how many times do I have to remind you, about the small hole present just next to the door here so you don’t trip off." said the man who came just after.

"It's easier to say Mack but this hole is way too small to notice while walking." Said Rocky shining the torch and revealing the face of his companion.

Aron was very uncomfortable but even then, he was still. The men were just 10 inches away from him. One small movement could give away his location. When Rocky got up, an object fell from his pocket into one of the bushes. Aron felt sure that the man didn’t notice this and made a note of the location of the object.

"My key is missing! I must have left it indoors. Mack, why not use your key for now. I can get mine the next time we visit. You know, we have got no time to waste." Exclaimed rocky.

"You are right." Said Mack.

Aron couldn’t see them locking the door, but both the men left as soon as they were finished.

Aron came out of his hiding place. "Well that was a close one" he said walking toward the bush where the object from the man fell and picked it up.

"Why, it's a mask!" He exclaimed. Also, it is a very strange one, unlike the masks found in the market. “This must—"

He glanced at his watch. It was the time for Aron to return at home. "I should reach before aunty gets worried" he said and started off for home.

After reaching home Aron hid the mask in the bushes of his lawn. He didn't feel it would be right to take it inside. After entering into the house, on Aunt Mary's command he went directly to his bed room. He was lying on his bed when he remembered something about what Rocky said.

"I wonder why he said that this mask was his key of the backdoor."