chapter eight

Houston

Houston

          "Why are you following me?"

         Sabrina craned her neck to peer up at me whilst crossing her arms in front of her chest. Her lips fell into a slight pout as she waited for me to answer her question.

        I couldn't help but chuckle at the irritation behind her words. It was evident that she didn't enjoy my presence, but I had a feeling that she was beginning to warm up to me.

        Truthfully, I hoped that one day she would finally take down that guard she's been blocking me with.

        I wasn't going to push her though. It seemed like she was this way for a reason, and maybe time was the only thing that could fix it.

        "I'm not following you, sweetheart. We live in the same apartment complex." I replied to her question.

         The fresh morning air of North Carolina brushed past us with a small breeze. We had sat at the cafe for approximately two hours — studying, ordering another round of coffee, and Sabrina ultimately yelling at me to stop flirting with her.

          "It's hard to resist not complimenting someone as beautiful as you." I told her, which caused her cheeks to blossom into a soft pink blush. I watched as her nose scrunched up and her bottom lip rolled backwards into her mouth.

        "Does that line really work on other girls?" Sabrina asked me, one of her her thick eyebrows cocking upwards in disbelief.

         "I don't use it on other girls."

          She scoffed in return. "No need to lie to me, Bradshaw. It's common knowledge that every girl practically drools over you."

         "And does that 'common knowledge' apply to you too?" I teased her.

"Gosh, no. I would never waste my breath on a playboy." Sabrina lips wrapped around the straw inside her cup. I found it hard to swallow as I imagined what they would feel like.

"You're sitting here with me right now, aren't you?"

"Touché."

I watched as the beautiful girl before me expressed a look of confusion. Sabrina looked at me with cunning eyes as they searched my face. Her hair was now tied back in a low bun, some of the tendrils falling over her heart-shaped face. Her honey colored eyes gleamed in the sunlight and I was utterly mesmerized by the pools of gold.