Chapter Sixteen

Jasper

It has been two weeks. An entire goddamned fortnight and Cole still has not forgiven me for my act of omission.

Oh we talk, he isn't the type to award me the silent treatment but it is as though we are flat mates instead of lovers.

I took a burning sip of my scotch as I sat in our home office, trying to book a cheap flight to London online. I needed to leave for my parents' wedding anniversary celebration in three days. Cole usually went with me but I was pretty sure he would not this time.

My family loved him. They thought he was my best friend instead of my boyfriend because I never really made that part clear. But after seeing us together for six years without any significant others, I think they have figured it out by now.

Cole does not have any family of his own. He grew up an orphan in foster homes and then my family kind of started to think of him as their own because of his winning personality. There was something so endearing about him. He could charm anybody's pants off. Or skirt for that matter.

Scowling, I gulped down more scotch and then jumped, making the liquid splash over my hand when said skirt-owner appeared in the office doorway all breathless and excited, looking at me with her damned big, blue eyes.

"What do you want?" I asked rudely, snatching some tissues from the box nearby and blotting out the spill.

Her plush pink lips parted and she held up a glossy copy of this month's Vogue Italia issue with a glimmer in her eyes. "I saw your photos," she told me. "Oh my God, Jasper, why didn't you tell us?"

I made some non-committal sound to get her to fuck off but she would not budge as she presented me with the sweetest smile I had ever seen on a woman. God, it just about took my breath away. Why was she smiling at me like I was God or something?

"Come on, Jasper," she said in an excited tone. "I mean, Vogue Italia? That's a pretty big deal. I'm...I'm so happy for you."

God, why? I hated her. She needed to stop bugging me. Pouring some more scotch in my glass, I went back to my task and ignored her but it was hard because just then, Cole walked past the office and Skye turned to him with the same excitement as though it was her name on the article as the photographer instead of mine.

"Cole, did you see this?" she gushed, showing him the pages where my photos were displayed. "Jasper got hired to do a shoot by Vogue Italia. I mean, how amazing is that?"

I stopped breathing for a minute as my boyfriend's gaze skimmed over the photos before he turned to glance at me coolly.

"Wow," he said and I never heard a more lukewarm response in my life. "That's great. Congratulations."

Then he walked off to do whatever he was going to do after dropping a kiss on Skye's head as she stared after him. My fingers clutched the glass knowing what was coming. She turned to me with pity in her eyes, probably saw the devastation on my face and I just could not stand it.

"Leave, Skye," I stated firmly, shaking my head to clear my mind of all self- pitiful thoughts.

The most significant move of my career as a photographer. To be given a chance to be featured in a national magazine and that was his response. Wow.

She was still standing there. Man, why was she so annoying?

Looking up, I pierced her with my most dangerous glare. "Do you mind?" I snapped. "I'm really busy. Close the door behind you."

My intimidating personality did not faze her. She never took her gorgeous, soulful eyes off me as she smiled and mouthed her own 'congratulations' before walking away.

I could have sworn the expression on her face was one of pride. It made me want to wrap my hands around her pretty little neck, shake her and scream, I don't want your support. Or your friendship. Or your sweet, warm smiles. I don't want any part of you.

She doesn't care about me. She just wanted to gloat.

~~~

Skye

Cole held me so securely in his arms that night. But then, he did that every night. Warm and sensual. Loving and doting. Making me feel like I was the most beautiful girl in this world inside and out. Well, maybe I was to him. And the notion was incredible. But he had somebody else who thought of him as the most beautiful man on this planet and I could not deprive either of them of each other's love.

"I want to ask you something," I whispered into his chest as we lay tangled in the sheets after yet another hectic love-making session. It was like he had gone crazy after having his first woman in two years all to himself and now, he was like a sex machine.

Not that I was complaining but he spent every single night with me and it was not fair. Jasper never said anything. He acted like it did not bother him but I saw the pain in his eyes. Things had to get better between them. I could not stand being the reason for their rift.

"What is it?" Cole murmured in the darkness, lazily running his fingers up and down my spine.

I sighed and dropped a kiss on his torso. "I know it isn't really my business but...I can't help but notice the tension between you and Jasper. What's going on?" I ventured, feeling him go still beneath me.

For a minute, I thought he would not answer. It was an unspoken understanding that Jasper's name was forbidden in our bedroom, especially when we were in these kinds of positions.

"Yeah...we're having some issues," he finally replied in a low voice. "But we'll work it out. Eventually. Don't worry."

I nibbled on my lip as I did exactly the opposite of what he asked me. I worried like hell. I mean, some other man was suffering while I was here enjoying sleeping with his boyfriend every night. The thought didn't sit well with me.

"Cole," I began again in a meek voice because Cole was super sensitive regarding Jasper and I was not sure which moment would be the one where he lost it and told me not to stick my nose in things that did not concern me. "Is...Is it me? Are you avoiding talking to him because of me?"

"No, hey, shhh." He cupped my face and gave me his trademark serious, caring look which I loved. "Don't think like that. It's got nothing to do with you."

"I just can't help but feel guilty, you know."

He smiled at me affectionately and bent his head to plant a sweet kiss on my lips.

"Don't," was his calm response as he settled back against the pillows. "I have an early start tomorrow, Skye," he murmured and closed his eyes. "Good night."

Which meant subject closed.

~~~