Chapter 2: Discovery

Super long chapter, 3.7k words! They progress a little with Mdlg and their relationship but I don't wanna rush things. It's more of just Avani being oblivious lol. Also Just some back story and Elizabeth's dad. Some pretty sweet things do happen tho, you'll see.

Avani's pov:

"You only have three more sentences to write! You can finish it now and be done with it."

"Ugggghhhh I don't have anything else to write. Help me!" Elizabeth was still at my house helping me finish my homework. She was a great tutor! But she made it so difficult to pay attention.

"Okay, you're writing about The knight. Knights are chivalrous and brave. Just go along the lines of that and add filler. Most writing assignments are just filler anyway." Elizabeth got up to put the bowl and cups in the sink. I was getting tired and could feel myself slipping into my headspace, but I had to fight off the urge. I finished typing and turned the laptop around when she came in.

"Okay let me see." She leaned over the table and read what I had typed. She gave me a smile and closed the laptop.

"See! It wasn't so bad now was it."

"I'll have you know that was very difficult." I stood up and walked around the table to her side.

"Thank you for helping me though, Elizabeth. It means a lot to me." She gave me a nod grabbed her bookbag.

"No problem Avani! It's my pleasure. So did you wanna go and watch a movie or something or you can just take me home, I don't wanna be a bother." My eyes went wide, I wasn't expecting her to wanna hang out with me!

"No no! You can stay if you'd like. We can go up to my room and watch a movie. I'll order pizza if you're hungry." I motioned her towards the stairs and we started going to my room.

"Please let me pay, I'm the one staying at your house." Just as we got in my room I got a text from my mom.

Staying the night at Ted's. There's cash in the vase downstairs. Just got off work.

I sighed and put my phone down. Ted was my moms boyfriend. I didn't like him and he sure as hell didn't like me. He made my mom happy so it was whatever.

"Hey, are you okay Avani? What's wrong?" She sat on the bed next to me and smiled softly.

"Oh nothing just my mom, she's staying at her boyfriends. don't worry about it! But are you sure you wanna buy the pizza?" She nodded and took out her phone, ordering dominoes online.

"Yes babes no worries. Come on why don't you relax and we can watch Okay?" We both laid next to each other with our heads against the headboard of my bed.

"You know, about your mom and all, it's none of my business, but I get how you feel. So no worries, I'm here for you." She looked over and smiled at me.

"Thank you Elizabeth. And... can I um, ask you something?" I sat up and turned to face her.

"Yeah of course, anything." I looked down at my hands and played with the ring on my finger.

"We just met today, and, you're really nice. Why? I just mean like, you're so nice to me and you barley know me." She giggled softly and sat up, lifting my chin and smiling at me.

"I can tell you're a good girl Avani. Some of us just need a person to be there for them. I don't have any friends, and you're nice to me and very bright. I couldn't hurt someone like you, I think were gonna be really great friends. I really like you okay?" She rubbed my shoulder and gave me trusting eyes.

"Okay.. thank you Elizabeth. I mean it." She nodded and we went back to the movie, later on we got the pizza. We just ate and laughed and goofed off. I wouldn't expect her to be my friend, but I was glad she was.