↳ apr. 17

ii. the silent rejection
MATTHEW GRAY GUBLER

[🪐]

     OKAY, WOW. ALRIGHT, THIS IS
slightly embarrassing.

Lola Novak was her name. The new costume designer on set—apparently, she had worked with the show American Horror Story for approximately one month before she was fired for who the hell knows what. I wasn't one to indulge in gossip, but I got too excited seeing a woman like her around here, so I went around asking the crew about the girl until I basically knew her social security number.

And when I got home, I found her instagram, stalked it for about thirty minutes, found out what shampoo she uses, then followed her. Lola, in return, did not follow me back, but liked one of my posts. I had no fucking clue what that meant. But the no follow thing HURT like a mothertrucker. I figured either she had no clue I existed, but even then, I was verified on Instagram so she had to have known that I had some clout.

It was shallow of me, but I truthfully wasn't expecting this discreet rejection so early in our already blooming and beautiful relationship. I mean, I thought I was a pretty cool dude! Why didn't see wanna follow me back???

And now, it was the next day and I was still thinking about ways I could talk to her. I had no clue why I was being so weird about this—I rarely ever got flustered enough to be afraid to talk to a woman I liked. Plus, I was friends with about everyone on the set so I wondered if she'd be offended if I didn't seek her out. Maybe she'd think I was ignoring her.

Or...maybe she just doesn't care.

"Make it a little more obvious, will you?"

I jolted, spinning around and meeting Thomas Gibson's smug gaze, immediately rolling my eyes and sipping my coffee casually.

"Make what obvious?" I asked him.

"You've been staring so hard at the new girl I was afraid your eyes would fall out of their sockets." He snorted, and I frowned at him with annoyance, turning my back to Lola to prove a point.

"I was looking at the costume she was working on." I told him.

"Why? You wanna wear Garcia's new skirt for our next filming?"

I nodded. "Shaved my legs for it too."

Thomas laughed, shaking his head. "Why haven't you talked to her or something yet? Usually you're the first to jump on a pretty girl on set."

I rolled my eyes, cringing. "No, I don't. And I followed her on Instagram last night. She's like, kinda famous."

"Did she follow you back?"

I pursed my lips together, scratching my head awkwardly.

Thomas' face fell, her mouth agape before he let out an hysterical laugh. I frowned, seriously offended as he continued making fun of me.

"You've been officially shut down, Matthew." He laughed, "K.O.-ed."

"Shut up." I grumbled, glaring at the man. "Maybe she just forgot." I mumbled, sighing heavily.

"Hm." Thomas chuckled, "you know, the moment I saw her, I was like, that's definitely Matthew's dream girl, and I was right!" He said enthusiastically, making me even more miserable.

"She's so beautiful!" I whispered, already beginning to blush and feel all weird inside. "I've never seen anyone with hair like that."

"I have. Her name's Shakira."

"Yeah, but Lola—" I whispered her name to the man, "is like, sort of magical looking, you know? Like a witch, but like, a hot witch."

"Go talk to her if you're so enchanted, honey." He mocked me.

"I-I will, but not today. I think I'll end up stuttering. I had some sugary cereal this morning, and consuming lots of sugar effects speech." I rambled, feeling my face turn red.

"Alright, Reid." Thomas scoffed, rolling his eyes and patting my hard on the back. "I'll leave you to admire the scenery."

[🪐]

I got home late that night, pulling out my phone and going on Instagram, only to see the first picture on my following page of the woman I'd been thinking about nonstop all day.

_____________________________
lolnovak                                               •••

_____________________________lolnovak                                               •••

lolnovak smiling at a stranger and their cute dog because i can

view all 372 comments

- evanpeters ( ) beautiful as always :)
cowboyspaxeboy no wayyyyy
lollypop88 get back together like right NOW
jasferaris i hate lola for this
kallylewis18 @evanpeters she's not even worth your time!!
user18289 @lolnovak you DONT deserve evan's attention.
evanswifeyxx88 nooooo I hate her I hate her I hate her
- madisonbeer ( ) ur gorgeous!!!
user19372 OMG i love you!!
richieleiws whoaa two hotties in one post
pumpkinedoreos ofc the prettiest ppl gotta be friends

I frowned, staring at Evan Peter's comment wearily, and seeing all the hate she was getting from it. He was on American Horror Story, and she worked on American Horror Story before, so it wasn't difficult for me to put the pieces together now that I know they dated.

I ignored the slight jealousy blooming in my gut, looking at her photo with a small smile. I couldn't believe how pretty this woman was. I liked it quickly, hoping that she'd notice it and acknowledge me, but I figured it probably wouldn't happen.

I felt like a high schooler all over again. I've never felt so excited about someone like this, so I really didn't know what to do with myself. I was a little afraid of talking to her, but I couldn't just stare at the woman from afar forever. She was just too good to be true, and I really didn't want her to leave without me getting at least a little close. And it was usually easy for me to do that.

But with Lola, it was a completely different story.

[🪐]