Chapter 5

"Bejabbers!" Tristan exclaimed with frustration, "I didst forget to speak to thee in mine mind and now he thinks me a fool," he muttered.

Lord Brantly let a smile curl his lips curiously.

"Me thinks you are the one who came through the gate?" he mused aloud.

"Me thinks thee might be correct in that assumption," Tristan admitted sulkily. "I had no notion that there was truth to the legends of the gateway."

Brantly chuckled, "And you would not be the first to make that mistake," he replied. "It seems the faerie gate keepers have decided to toy with you in some sort of especially cruel way," he observed.

"Well there does seem to be some sort of faerie who keeps talking at mine ear," Tristan admitted peevishly. "Though it be also entirely possible that I am still somewhat intoxicated," he added with a note of studious confusion as he scratched at his grizzled chin.

While the discovery had been entertaining in the early hours of the morning, his latest experience had made him very weary of his new companion. His mind now felt clear, and yet she was still very much with him.

'What? Are you talking about me? I'm not a fairy!' Ava protested, determined not to be misrepresented.

'Hush, foul temptress!' Tristan growled back.

Ava crossed her arms irritably and pouted. A moment later Tristan scowled as he regained control of his body.

Lord Brantly eyed him curiously, as though trying to determine the nature of his character. After a moment, he put his bow to one side, snapped some sturdy sticks into usable pieces and set about splinting Tristan's leg.

"I have ne'er seen one slay an ogre with a knife or a sword before," he remarked as he worked. "If one is brave enough to attempt it, a lance or a strong bow is the preferred tool for the job."

Tristan shrugged nonchalantly, fatigue now tugging at his senses in the aftermath of his brief life-or-death battle. He hissed as Brantly's efforts released a fresh wave of pain that swiftly revived his spirits for the moment.

"'Twas the only tools I had available," he replied honestly.

"An ogre!?!" Ava marveled as she glanced back at the huge fallen beast beside them.

"You have not encountered one before this day?" Brantly observed with mild amusement.

It was not uncommon for some visitors to his world to have lived their lives without having ever seen a monster such as this.

Tristava shook his head as he marveled at the massive creature. "They are simply the stuff of legends and tall tales in my homeland," he admitted.

"I never imagined that they would be so animalistic. I thought that they would be more like people – and that if they were real they were simply misunderstood and could be reasoned with," Ava added.

Tristan cocked an eyebrow at that. 'What codswallop,' he mumbled disapprovingly.

Brantly smiled to himself again, then offered Tristava a hand up.

"You are not a commoner?" he guessed.

"No I am not. I am born from good stock," Tristan admitted with a hint of pride.

Ava could tell he was hiding something.

"I deduced it from your manner of speech, and your skill with the sword," Lord Brantly replied. "I apologize for my earlier rudeness. When I found the woman on the floor and you with your hand in your trousers... well, I fear my mind leapt to some rather unpleasant conclusions. Also you seemed loutish and she seemed foreign, so I assumed she was the visitor and you a local. But I could not see any signs of harm on her body, and after your efforts to save my man and myself, I must acknowledge that I was gravely mistaken."

Tristan straightened proudly as best he could on his damaged leg. His conceit was stifled somewhat a moment later when Brantly drew the sword at his hip.

"I am unarmed and injured, Sir..." Tristan protested, while thinking: 'Surely he would not harm me after patching my leg?'

Brantly smiled reassuringly at him.

"'Tis for the beast," he told him. "I might have sped up the monster's death, but it was yea who first struck him in the heart – well, one of his hearts. He would have died of his wounds given enough time. Your ridiculous bout of courage has likely stood you in good stead. These creatures are known for carrying a bounty in their bellies. While the meat passes through easily enough, jewelry seldom does. Whatever is there should be yours to claim."

'Well... that is fortunate,' Tristan thought happily.

With that Brantly stepped forward and sliced open the monster's stomach with some difficulty. Its guts spewed out around them in a hot, stinking, slippery mess. Lord Brantly found the creature's large stomach and hacked it open. A few copper and silver trinkets fell out.

"Ah, perhaps I spoke too soon," Brantly admitted sheepishly, "It seems this one did not make such a habit out of eating people as some others have. Still, this will fetch you about a fortnight of food and lodging. Take it, my friend."

He handed Tristan the items and wiped his blade clean before re-sheathing it. Tristan tried to clean some of the goop off of his little treasure trove against his trouser leg then, then carefully put it into the pouch at his hip.

'That is so gross!' Ava whined.

Tristan grinned to himself. He liked it when she was vexed. It was one of the few ways he could get at her for being in his head. Still, if she hadn't pushed him, he never would have killed the ogre. Judging by how fast it had moved, he might have instead ended up its dinner...

"My name is Lord Brantly of Pelham," Brantly offered by way of formal introduction.

"Lord Tristan of Dunbar," Tristan replied with an awkward attempt at what was normally no doubt a graceful bow.

"A lord! You do no present as such," Brantly remarked with surprise.

Tristan chaffed a bit at the remark and straightened his appearance.

"It hath been said that I doth clean up well," he replied coolly.

Ava got the sensation that he was hiding a truth again.

"'Tis unfortunate, then, that you will not find lands here that you may call your own," Brantly told him honestly, "But I am in awe of your skill with the sword. Join my ranks and I shall ensure that you at least keep your title for so long as you are with us."

Tristan chaffed a little at the idea of serving a man he didn't know, let alone one he instinctively didn't trust, but he also understood the importance of what Brantly was offering him.

"I am no mere serving man or foot soldier," Tristan countered determinedly.

If Brantly didn't understand that, it was better to take his two weeks of living and find his own way forward in this inhospitable world of beasts and barons.

"No, of course not. You would serve as a general of my guard. I would have you train your own party of men to serve as elite swordsmen."

Tristan didn't hate that idea.

"'Tis a fair offer. Of course, the repatriation would have to be more than just food and lodging," he pushed.

A smirk teased the edge of Brantly Pelham's mouth. Ava was beginning to think that he had quite a sexy mouth. Sexy lips with kind eyes was not a bad start. Tristan tried not to throw up in his mouth in response to her musings. He fetched his sword and dagger and sheathed them.

"Of course," Brantly agreed. I shall see to it that my lord supplies you with good wages as well."

"Then I shall be most eager to join your company," Tristan agreed as he held out his hand to shake on it.

Brantly took his hand, and Ava leaned in with a big smile of interest that looked just a little creepy on a strong, warrior-like man like Tristan.

The glance perturbed Brantly of Pelham a little, and he pulled his hand away and quickly turned his focus to other things.

"The horses won't have gone too far," he remarked as he scanned their surroundings.