Chapter 36

He started forward with such lightness in his step that it was almost as though he were skipping with merriment. The sight seemed an odd contrast to his bent and gnarled old figure. Tristan let the horse walk quietly at his side, observing him studiously. The man had white-grey hair that had thinned somewhat on the top of his crown. Both his hair and his beard were long. His ears were unusual – pointed much like the healer that had treated him at the duke's castle. His clothes appeared comfortable, but well worn. Tristan's observations were cut short when they reached a clearing with a small little wooden cottage in it. The place looked disorderly, but friendly. Despite that, it reminded Ava of their encounter with the witch. A little shiver ran down their spine in remembrance.

"You have been in Valenthurst long?" the old man asked as he put on a pot of water to boil.

"Little over a week, old man," Tristan replied honestly.

"They call me Uhtre'al here," he told them.

"Here?" Ava asked simply.

Uhtre'al eyed them curiously for a moment, then started preparing the tea leaves.

"Yes, here. The gateway serves as a portal to many times and many places. This is just one of them," he told them. "I confess that I like it here most. The people are kind to me."

He sat opposite them as he waited for the water to boil, watching them studiously.

"You have Lodean blood in you," he noted with surprise.

"I have Lodean blood?" Tristan replied with confusion.

"Not you. She," the old man corrected him. "The other half of your 'we'."

Tristava froze. How could he possibly know that?

The old man chuckled at their shocked response.

"Most men can see only the outside of a man. Some with discernment can gleam a little of what lies within. To me men are as shimmers of light, their soul's radiating in a flesh and bone casing. Your casing shines with two very different lights – two souls tangled in the same body," Uhtre'al explained.

A second shiver ran down Tristan's spine. It was clear to him that he was dealing with a man who was some sort of masked spirit. He made the sign of the cross in a desperate attempt to keep himself from harm. Uhtre'al didn't look impressed with him.

"The stone does not just draw any soul through it. How came you both to be here?" the old man mused curiously.

"I simply touched it," Tristava replied honestly.

Uhtre'al eyed Tristan studiously. "In the place from whence you came, are there not fables surrounding the gate? Tales that tell of the danger of such a deed?"

Tristan blushed a bit.

"There were, but I confess I did not pay them much heed," he admitted awkwardly.

"Then the faeries would have found joy in tormenting you for your insolence," Uhtre'al replied with a chuckle. "They are fickle tricksters, fond of games that torment a man's mind."

"Such could be said twice over, and it would still not be enough," Tristan agreed as he considered how often Ava had tormented his thoughts.

'Hey!' Ava protested half-heartedly.

"And you, lady spirit, you, I sense, were brought here for a purpose," Uhtre'al told her.

"Wha.... What?" she stammered awkwardly with surprise.

"The balance of the scales has tipped in Valenthurst. A Lodean of true blood and heart is all that can return it."

"But... I..." Ava's words failed her.