Chapter 12

Ava squirmed uncomfortably. She seemed to always wake up before Tristan, and that bloody morning erection was always there to greet her when she did. She knew better than to touch herself now. It was one thing when Tristan held them to relieve themselves, but it was quite another when the hideous thing was engorged. She waited awkwardly until he woke up, so that she could moan at him and ask him to make it go away.

Tristan yawned lazily and scratched his armpit. He could practically feel her vexation. It was the same every morning, and it was mildly amusing for him.

'Tristan...' Ava began.

'What be the problem this morning, old hag?' Tristan asked sweetly, as though he didn't have a clue what was bothering her.

'You know... it's, er... standing up again,' Ava squirmed.

'Ah yes, so 'tis,' Tristan replied after a glance of admiration at his maypole. 'He seems to be looking especially fine this morning, doth thee not think?'

Ava let out a little growl of annoyance. Tristan grinned to himself and slid a hand into his trousers to take care of business.

'Erk! No! You can't do that!' Ava complained as she yanked his hand back out again.

'Make up thy mind, woman!' Tristan growled with annoyance.

For some reason his morning wood had now turned into a raging erection that was even making him feel a little uneasy.

'Oh lord... look what you did!' Ava whined as she squirmed on the straw pile they'd been sleeping on.

That didn't seem to help.

''Tis not my fault. Had thee permitted me have my way yester eve, my teazle would have been quieter now," Tristan grumbled as he pulled his trousers looser to accommodate himself.

'From the sounds of things, if I'd let you have your way last night, we'd be in prison again by now,' Ava shot back.

They were silent a while, just staring at the vexation in their trousers.

'Make it go away,' Ava squeaked after a little while.

'Didst I not make such an attempt just moments ago?' Tristan shot back with annoyance.

'There has to be another way!' Ava grumbled.

'One can think on unpleasant thoughts,' Tristan replied speculatively.

'Like the horror of childbirth?' Ava asked, trying to think of the scariest thing she could imagine.

A second later their appendage jerked excitedly. Ava squealed.

'Er, mayhaps not that. Thy sayeth childbirth, and mine thoughts tend towards the making of the babe,' Tristan admitted sheepishly.

'Privies!' Ava tried again. 'And dungeons and flea-riddled straw...'

Tristan chuckled softly.

''Tis a better theme,' he agreed as he tried to picture it.

Together they focused on the most disgusting, unappealing details of their brief time spent in a dungeon until they slowly started to flag. Their bedroom door unlocked and swung open, as if the person behind it had been waiting for that exact moment to enter.

"It be time to resume our journey," Sir Rowan informed them politely.

Tristan slid off his hay pile and started pulling his boots and shirt on. He paused to stretch the stiffness out of his back and rub his still sensitive buttocks. The muscular tension inside his thighs was insane. He fisted them a little to try and ease it somewhat.