25 - Presents

I posted the wrong chapter :'( But on the plus side you guys get two chapters today.

The party had started pretty early. It was only 4.

"What's happening? Is everyone just getting drunk at 4?" I ask Luke kind of confused.

"We're just chilling. Cake and a few beers, nothing major. I'll kick them out before 7 so I can spend some time with you without them" Luke nudges me and winks.

I roll my eyes and he looks disappointed. I text my mom again telling her I won't be back until late. She tells me to stay safe and make sure I have a ride home, I'm pretty sure my dad shivered whenever I went out with friends.

"Hey Clem, I got you this." Nick walks over to me, a small gift bag in one hand and a beer in the other. There was a part of me that wanted Nick here and another part of me that didn't want the awkwardness.

He hands me the gift bag and I open it up to reveal a box of chocolates, a gift card for a clothes shop and a smaller box. I put the gift card and chocolate on the table and open up the smaller box. Inside there was the prettiest bracelet I had ever seen.

"Holy shit Nick, its beautiful." I smile at him and place it around my wrist, it looked great.

"I'm glad you like it" Nick says awkwardly rubbing the back of his neck as usual. I don't understand, did he like me still? Or did he just want to get on my good side for smoking weed even though I told him not to? Or maybe he was just being a good friend?

"If you like that, then check this." Luke butts into my conversation as if it was some sort of competition. Nick looked a little bit shocked.

Luke also passes me a small box, this time it was thinner and longer. I open it up to reveal a golden necklace.

"How much did this cost?" I ask Luke shocked at the detail on the necklaces pendant.

"Cost doesn't matter if its for you" he strokes my chin, his words were sweet and made me feel good. But they were still slightly cringe worthy.

He pulls my chin upwards so I can meet his lips. I let go and look to my left, Nick was watching us. Like he was in shock. He stares at me, his jaw slightly unhinged. He was holding a beer in one hand. It was as if yet again Luke beat him at something.

"Happy birthday Clem" Nick sighs before walking off.

I felt bad for him. I loved his present, it was beautiful.

"Let me get this for you" Luke takes the necklace out of the box and wraps it around my neck doing it up at the back.

"Does it look nice?" I look down at my chest, the pendant dangling down.

"Of course it looks nice" he smiles and gives me a hug.

I spend most of the time sipping on a beer and talking to Rebecca. I never mentioned Alvin or Carver in them conversations, I had no idea what her situation was with them and that was non of my business. Frankly the loud music playing in the house and the stuffiness of Robs drunk dancing and Luke trying to teach people to backflip filled the room with a sweaty haze making it extremely warm. I stepped out of the back door to get some fresh air, I didn't expect to find Nick outside.

"You okay?" I ask him leaning on the balcony beside him.

"Just fine thanks" Nick sighs. He pulls a little cardboard box out of his pocket and flicked open the top revealing cigarettes.

"You smoke?" I question him.

"You told me to stop the weed, I substituted it" he shrugs. He pulls out a lighter

"I'm pretty sure cigarettes are worst" I tell him giving him a glare. He shoves the cigarette in between his dry lips and attempts to light it but before he could I knock it away from him.

"What the fuck was that for?* he scowls.

"Don't do it" I give him a glare.

"I appreciate your concern but I can do what I want" Nick barks back like a small child.

"You don't understand, it can affect you" I try to tell him as he picks up the cigarette I knocked on the floor.

"I doubt you've even touched a smoke before" he chuckles to him and begins to light it again.

"You really don't know a lot about me do you?" I shake my head and as I speak he stops trying to light it and pulls it away from his mouth.

"Since when do you smoke?" He questioned, curious of how I once disobeyed the rules of society.

"I never smoked cigarettes" I admit.

"So don't tell me that I ca-"

"I smoked weed" I tell him in a casual tone, trying not to make eye contact. He looks at me and then laughs.

"No you didn't" he argues finding it hard to believe.

"I used to deal as well" I admit to him. Now he found it even harder to believe.

"You're pulling my leg" he laughs again.

"Just trust me on this one, It changed my life."

He attempts to process my words looking out into the open land of darkness. It was a cold November night but it was nicer than boiling inside.

"You're okay now, right?" He gives me a concerned look, as if he feels guilty for laughing. He finally believes me.

"I've got people bullying me, but I always have people like you to help me" I give him a grin and his head cocks up replying with a small smile.

"Well that's a start, I've just felt like I used to the past couple of weeks, depressed and lonely. When you came to the school for the first time I felt happy. Now we fucked everything up and yet again Luke takes everything away from me." Nick rants.

"I'm sorry he does that to you"

"You shouldn't have to be sorry for him. You should go and join your own party." Nick sighs.

"Aren't you coming back in?" I question him and he rubs his eyes.

"I'll be back in soon. I just need some more time to think." He tells me.

"Don't think too much, it can be dangerous" I smirk. He shakes his head and a small smile slowly creeps up his face.

"You best take these" he pulls the box of cigarettes out of his pocket and passes them to me.

"Thanks. Oh and Nick..." I start to walk back inside but I remember I had to tell him something else.

"Yeah?" He turns around leaning his back against the balcony.

"Thanks for the bracelet" I walk over to him and kiss him on the cheek. I feel as if he needed it. As my lips gently push against his prickly skin on the side of his face it feels as if a spark flies through my body.

But I knew I couldn't let that happen. I stopped the metaphoric spark before it could reach my heart.

"No problem" Nick smirks and I feel his eyes burning into my back as I walk back inside. I could see him in the reflection in the window staring at me.