29 - Indulgence

Keeping things locked inside was my profession. I sat poker faced as Luke drove me to his house. His mom was home and she was always welcoming me with open arms.

"Clem, its nice to see you" she smiles as she chops some tomatoes into a boiling pot. A beautiful smell was coming from the kitchen, she was a 5 star chef. The majority of moms are, I hope that if I ever become a mom I can pick up the essence of cooking since I struggle to even make toast.

"You too Mrs Porter" I give her a smile and she replies with one back.

"We're going upstairs mom" Luke informs her incase he suddenly disappeared.

"I'll put my headphones in and pretend you're not doing anything" she shakes her head. I blush and Luke looks horrified that his mom even said that aloud.

"Mom!" He shouts embarrassed. It sounded like his mom had heard his dirty habits before. His mom gives him a little smirk and throws more tomatoes into the pot. Luke grabs my hand and drags me upstairs.

His room was practically the same as the time we did the project together. Still in neat order. I walk over to the shelf that housed his old photographs.

I pick up a photo frame with two small boys in skiing gear. One definitely looked like Luke but a 9 year old version instead.

"Who's your friend?" I question pointing to the guy in the goggles standing beside him. I couldn't see his eyes.

'Who'd you think?" He says smiling as he grabs my waist.

"Nick?" He was the only friend I knew Luke had been friends with a long time.

"Correct, 30 brownie points for you" he kisses me on the cheek.

"You and Nick went skiing?"

"His uncle Pete took us, we were about 9 at the time. It was pretty fun." Luke admits.

I scan the rest of the photos, none of them really stand out. There was a picture of him and an entire soccer team. The most recent picture there was him upside down with a keg hose in his mouth. Nick was holding his legs smiling and posing for the picture. It made me giggle, how the boys seemed to be so close before I came along. It made me sad.

"I bet your moms really proud of that one" I point out the keg picture and Luke begins to laugh.

"Summer 2012, my first time drinking. I went a little nuts and so did my parents." He rolls his eyes.

I finish analysing the photos, hopefully one day he could place a picture of us.

"Oh yeah, I forgot about this!" Luke gets excited all of a sudden and dives onto the floor reaching for a huge black book.

He pulls out the book and places it on his bed, I watch him flip the pages. I sit on his bed folding over my legs.

"What are you looking for?" I ask him. I look at the black book once more and realise its the same book that held the drawing he did of me that one time.

"This" he smiles at me as he turns the book around to face me.

A drawing of me was in the middle, just like the original I saw but this time there was writing behind me.

"It's beautiful" I tell him.

"Its called 'the things I love about you'" he points to the words that were behind my face on the drawing.

The way that he had spaced everything out was perfect. I attempted to read some of the words. 'She's beautiful, I love her smile' the page was filled with compliments. It was a romantic gesture that proved the he loved me.