Prologue

"Good morning class my names Doctor Ward-Irwin and I'll be your Professor for Animals in Social Work this semester."

My first ever college classroom was filled, I had pleaded with the department three times to expand the number of seats available and still there was a wait list of students. I was overwhelmed as the fifty undergraduate students looked at me with their tired but eager eyes. It was nine o'clock in the morning and many were still dressed in their pajamas. I didn't mind though, I had been a student once and remember the "early" morning lectures. It had been a long time since I had been a student, and an even longer time since I had considered a 9am start to be early, but I was excited to share my research with a new generation of conservation hopefuls.

"I first began looking at the social cohabitation of humans and wildlife when I was a graduate student. I came to Australia for a short term study abroad during my Masters of Social Work and fell in love with the wildlife. I want to make the clear distinction between an Animal Behavior class and this class which will look at how animals can assist us in our own social life. Think service dogs, emotional support animals and so many others."

Before I knew it, all of my nerves had vanished. As soon as I began to talk about conservation and animal welfare I suddenly found that I no longer needed my notes or the assistance of the presentation behind me, everything rolled of the tongue and the greatest part, the students were engaged. I didn't go into any great detail for our first class. A simple syllabus review and a short "getting to know you" discussion was all I asked of them. It worked well. They left after forty-five minuets and we seemed to have a good bond. At least that's how I felt. It was my first ever class, I could have misread the room.

After my class I returned to my office. I was lucky to have been given my own office for my first semester at the University of Queensland. It was a simply decorated room with navy blue walls and a gray-ish colored carpet. It wasn't the prettiest place I'd ever soon. The brown boxes I had brought in over the break were sat in the middle of the floor. I closed the door behind me and began to unpack them.

The books were first. I had two actual book shelves, as well as a singular shelf that went all the way around the room. There had been some doubt as to my ability to fill the shelf space however as I began to place the books in their new home it was very quickly clear that I would have no problems at all. After the books came my desktop monitor and keyboard which I placed in the corner giving me enough room for my laptop to go next to them and then finally my photo frames and other homely reminders which I had brought with me for solace and good luck. 

On the large and empty wall space I placed three photography canvases, each one of a different endangered animal: The African Elephant, a Lion and her cub, and a Buffalo with a bird peacefully sat in the center of its head. Closest to my laptop I placed a picture of my husband and I and then in the far corner of my desk I placed a picture of my husband and I, my mother in law, and my sister in law on her wedding day with her husband.

Once I was finished I stood in the center of the room and looked around, a slight smile on my lips. The ugly colors were no longer the first thing that caught your attention when you walked in. I took a seat in my desk chair and pulled my phone out of my pocket. Two texts. The first from early this morning.

Best of luck today! I can't wait to hear all about it – Robert 

The second from just a few moments ago.

I know today's a big day for you but we have amazing news at the Zoo, stop by after work if you can. I can't wait to share. – Bindi 

I checked the schedule which I had attached to the back of my door. I had one meeting and two more classes to teach but I would be done by lunch time. I sent a joint text back to them both,

I'll be back at the Zoo around two o'clock, can't wait to hear the exciting news Bindi and tell you both about my day!- Nessie x

Growing up I could never have imagined this would be my life. I never even knew I wanted to work in this field. I am so fortunate to call these people family and to think it all came about because of a Koala called Kent, well that's the greatest story of them all. 

_____________________________________

Hello friends! 

Thank you for joining me on another adventure. This story was actually a request from my good friend Jess so please forgive me if facts and info about the Irwins/ animals are not correct. I am by no means an expert. 

I have enjoyed my time researching the family though and have found their dedication to animal conservation and education truly inspiring. 

I hope you enjoy the story as much as I enjoyed writing it. Please vote and leave comments or feedback. I'd love to hear what you guys think. Also I am hopefully going to be publishing more requests so if you have one in mind let me know! 

Book dedication @JessicaDurrell