Robert Calls

The water at Mooloolaba beach was bright blue. The clearest water I think I have ever seen and the calmest too. It softly crashed against my legs as I stood with my ankles in the sand. Roberts arms wrapped around me waist, he was standing behind me and rested his chin on my shoulder.

"Isn't it just the most beautiful sight?" he asked. I sighed as rested my head back against him.

"I'm so happy," I whispered.

I opened my eyes and for a few seconds I felt as though I was still standing on the Mooloolaba sands with the waves gently lapping in front of me. Then I heard my Mom calling from downstairs to tell me breakfast was ready and I remembered that my bedroom was no Australia. Not even close. I sighed, it was the first day of the school year today and my first class was at eight o'clock. I look at the clock on my wall. 06:30. I had a long day ahead of me.

Mom and Dad were already at the breakfast table when I managed to slump my way down the stairs,

"Hey Nessie," Mom said,

"good morning Pumpkin," my Dad added as he put down his newspaper. He was the kind of guy that still liked a morning paper with his coffee, even though he could have read everything online without wasting paper on printing. He was a business man, we often disagreed on the "save the planet" stuff as he called it. He saw nothing wrong with printing papers every day but then making a large monetary contribution to the conservation effort just as tax season was rolling in.

We started eating and talking about the day we each had planned but we were soon interrupted by the sound of my phone.

"Not at the table please," my Mom said, I usually agreed with her and would have switched it off but it was Robert.

"Please Mom he'll be super busy today," I pleaded.

"Oh go on, it would be nice to see him," she added. Robert had been Facetiming all summer and Mom and Dad were always trying to sit in on our calls. I had to continuously move rooms just to make sure they weren't eavesdropping on the entire conversation.

"Hey," I called as I swiped my finger across and answered the video call. Robert always looked so adorable on video calls, he had a face full of constant surprise, like he couldn't believe he was seeing everyone face to face.

"G'day," he said, "You haven't left yet have you?" he asked, I shook my head and had a bite of toast,

"Just finishing up breakfast, Mom and Dad are here too," I said. I turned the phone landscape and rested it up against the fruit bowl so Mom and Dad could scoot in.

"Oh hello guys," Robert said, "I don't have much time Ness, I have to go and get changed and then I'm due in the Crocoseum in a little while but I just wanted to say have a great first day back at school. It must be so weird having been away for an entire semester but I'm sure you're going to do great," he said. I could feel myself blushing, he was so adorable.

"Thanks," I muttered, "Did I tell you I got a seat in the animal behaviors class?" I asked him,

"No but that's incredible!" he told me, "I can't wait to hear all about it."

"Alright love well I'll let you go, you've probably got a lot to do but thank you for calling and checking in," I said.

"Sure thing, text me later and let me know how things are going," he said, "It was nice to see you Mr. and Mrs. Ward" he called,

"You too Robert darling," my Mom cooed, "be safe with those Crocodiles today," she told him. I rolled my eyes,

"I'm hanging up now," I told everyone,