University Tour Guides

My eyes abruptly opened as I heard the sound of my phone loudly vibrating on the coffee table. I stretched out my arm and fumbled around for it and once I had it tightly clasped in my grip I slowly opened my eyes to see who was calling. The light was blinding and so I swiped to answer without ever seeing the called ID.

"Did you sleep in or am I early?" Bindi asked. Her voice was usually so calming and soothing but as I heard it I felt the hairs on the back of my neck stand on edge and a cold shiver ran down my spine. I jumped up from where I had been lying, awaking a peacefully sleeping Robert as I did.

"I am running late but I'm on my way down now," I called as I began hurrying around my apartment finding everything I needed for the day and stuffing it as quickly as I could into my backpack. I had promised Bindi a tour of Queensland University as she was considering attending next year and today was my only day off.

"Alright well I got us coffee so I'll be in the car," she said with the playful giggle she always did.

"I'll be right down," I promised.

I hung up and hurried into the bathroom. I quickly splashed water on my face and brushed my teeth. There was no time to make my self look appealing and so I threw my hair up into a messy knot and shrugged my shoulders. It would have to do. As I stepped out of the bathroom I saw Robert, now sat up right, rubbing his hands over his face.

"I'm sorry I have to rush off," I told him. "But there's stuff for breakfast in the kitchen, you can help yourself" I said with a half smile. "Also when you go back to the Zoo could you take Kent for his check ups?" I asked, I had told Doctor Sam I would drop him off before I went to school with Bindi. But well, plans change. Robert nodded, he was still half asleep and confused about what was happening. "I'll see you later," I said before hurrying out the door and running down the stairs.

I didn't like leaving in that way. Robert had been so helpful with teaching me all about Koalas and how best to help Kent. He'd also been helping me stay on top of all my school work. He deserved more than eating breakfast alone in an apartment that wasn't even his. I saw Bindi's car sitting in the parking lot and felt a pang of guilt. Should I tell her Robert is upstairs? It wasn't like anything had happened. Was I lying to her if I didn't tell her? I suddenly felt as though I was in the middle of a very weird situation. I shook my head clear of the thoughts. It's not weird. Robert is a great friend and I'd been hanging out with him a lot, that was all. Bindi didn't need to know about all of my friends. Not even the ones with mesmerizing blue eyes and the most adorable... stop! He owns the zoo where I work, that's a boundary that no one should cross.

"Good morning, sorry I'm so late," I called as I jumped into the car.

"No problem at all, here's your breakfast," she said as she handed me a coffee and a croissant. "Now, you'll have to direct me," she said. I nodded and took a bite of my croissant. I hadn't realized until that moment just how hungry I was.

Bindi was considering coming to the University of Queensland for a double degree in tourism and business management. I didn't know much about her specific program but I was happy to show her around the campus I had called home for the past few months.

"It's such a shame you won't be here next year when I start," she said as we sat down at one of the picnic tables to eat our lunch. I took a forkful of salad and nodded,

"I know; it would be pretty amazing to be at school together. We'd be the best study buddies," I told her.

"Just like old times," she laughed.

"What?" I asked her. She suddenly realized she had said something she shouldn't. Her eyes widened and she quickly threw some food into her mouth to give herself a buffer time.