A New Life in New York

One of the only enjoyable parts about living in a different country from Robert was the fact that no one in the world knew who I was. There had been a handful of occasions where the paparazzi had seen us together at an airport or while I was out shopping with Bindi but I had always been wearing sun glasses with my hair down and so still to this day I was "Robert's mystery girl". It also helped that to the media Robert was the BIGGEST LADIES MAN on the planet. They partnered him with every actress, singer, or just famous person in general that came to the zoo and took a picture with him. Even fans, if he liked their photo on Instagram BAM the papers put them together and they mystery was solved.

The Irwin's are quite a private family and although all of their conservation and Zoological efforts are broadcast to the world, they very rarely talk about themselves meaning I didn't have to worry about any kind of publicity. I was able to return to America and continue with schooling like nothing had happened. My closest friends knew of course, as did Robert's but we never posted about each other on social media and I was always very wary of joining him whenever he came to America to do media. This time however I couldn't refuse. He was filming another segment for the Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon. He would be in New York which was so close to my home, and his team were bringing one of my favorite animals onto the show- a baby Deer!

I had been home in America for just a little over three months. School was going well and everything in my life was starting to feel a little bit more normal again. I always had an adjustment period whenever I came back to America. Life at the Zoo was like a life on another planet and then I had to come back here to cars and angry New Englanders. You can imagine which I preferred. I had been talking to my parents about transferring the rest of my study over to the University of Queensland but that didn't go down well. Apparently moving your studies and your life across the world for a guy isn't the done thing. Who would have known?

The tonight show were paying for the Irwin's and their team to stay in hotels in New York so the morning of filming I took the train into the city and met Robert at Grand Central Station. Though he'd been to New York plenty of times before it was so exciting to stroll through the city with him. We ate lunch together in Central Park before we headed to the studio.

For once, Robert had not been in his khaki's when I first saw him and so the first thing he had to do was change. While I was waiting I went to greet everyone. I had missed them all so much. It was even more exciting to see that Chandler's parents were here too! Chandler always made sure to visit Florida whenever he came back to America, it was nice to see that this time they had come to him. When all the hugs and kisses were over Robert came back out and began to talk about the animals he would be using that night.

"Webster is already out and he's happy, Mom, Bindi do you guys have Verne?" he asked. Terri nodded,

"All ready for you whenever you need him," she confirmed,

"Great so Nessie do you want to be in charge of Anchor?" Robert asked, I quickly stepped forward into the breach. It had taken everything in me not to yell out "I volunteer as tribute" as soon as I had seen she would need a backstage handler.

"Absolutely," I said happily as he large crate was wheeled over to me on a pull-trolley. "Have the best show Robert," I told him softly.

I took Anchor back to the area backstage where Jimmy's team had put out some of her favorite food and toys. We stayed there for about half an hour playing together until one of the Tonight Show Aids came to tell me Robert was almost ready for us. I quietly led her to the back of the sofas, she was going to come out of the wooden tunnel in between the chairs.

"And this is Anchor, our little baby Deer," Robert said. I let her go and she nervously trotted out onto the stage. I skipped to the side and stood with Terri, Chandler and Bindi by the Cameras. We watched as Robert beautifully told the crowd about her. Everything was going well.

All of a sudden she stood frozen and began to shake. She began to let out peep peep sounds. She had been scared by a flash in the audience. Robert hadn't see the photographer and when he went to wrangle her she began to run around the stage in a circle. She was scared. The zoo staff quickly began to move in but Robert quickly told them to stop.

"Nessie do you want to come and..." he suggested. I forgot that filming was happening, my only concern was on Anchor. I dropped to my knees and crawled very slowly onto the stage. When I came close enough to her I stopped and let two small breaths out. The gentle blowing was my greeting to her, telling her that we would be safe and she could trust me. It took her a moment but she cautiously began to walk over to me. I remained still until her nose touched my nose. Then I wrapped my arms around her and brought her into my chest.

"Are you all set with her?" I asked quietly, Robert smiled at me and nodded,

"Yeah she can go back," he told me. I began to walk off the stage but was stopped when I heard Jimmy say

"Wow that was incredible! How did you know how to get her to calm down like that?" I nervously turned around.

"I... erm... I don't know really. She's just a baby so... figured she needed some love," I nervously laughed.

"She's being modest," Robert said. "Ness actually hand raised one of our Wildlife hospital Koalas. She took him in as a baby and now he's back in the wild," Robert elaborated. I was happy that he thought of me so positively but the studio lights were bright in my eyes. I was not made to stand on a stage and I could feel Anchor sharing.

"How incredible, well give it up for..."

"Nessie," Robert filled in,

"Give it up for Nessie ladies and gentleman. She's definitely the kind of woman you want working in your Zoo," Jimmy said. I went back to hurrying off the stage,

"Yeah I definitely picked a good wildlife girlfriend there," Robert laughed. I was off the stage and by the camera when he said it and I instantly froze. Bindi rolled her eyes and Chandler buried his head into his hand.

"That boy has an affinity for not knowing whento stop talking," Terri said as she covered her mouth with her hand. I turnedto look at Robert with that Are youkidding me? look. Why did this man always introduce our relationship in themost awkward way? It took him a moment but then he realized what he had justdone. He gave me a maybe they can edit itout look but then Jimmy proceeded to ask him questions about us and I knewthere was no way he was going to have this edited out. Robert Irwin had justannounced his first girlfriend to the world and Jimmy Fallon had the exclusive.