The Kent Proposal

I was tired. I was so tired. I could close my eyes right now and fall asleep while I was walking through the airport. I knew Brisbane airport like the back of my hand and so I was sure that if I did fall asleep I wouldn't trip over or bang in to anyone. I rounded the corner and locked eyes with him immediately. He hadn't come subtly today. He wasn't dressed in jeans or a t-shirt or a cap, he had come straight from the zoo and was in his all too familiar Robert Irwin khakis. I hurried over to him and instinctively wrapped my arms around him.

"Oh it's good to be back," I said,

"You were literally here three months ago" Robert laughed, "But I'm glad to see you too." He leaned forward and kissed me softly, "Come on, I have a surprise for you in the car," he said. Suddenly all the tiredness was gone and I took Robert's hand and followed him outside. He led me through the parking lot to his car and then placed my bags in the trunk for me. I opened the passenger seat door and saw my khakis waiting for me.

"We're going somewhere?" I asked him,

"We're going to see Kent," he told me.

We had released Kent into the wild almost a year and half ago on one of the Australia zoo supported safe locations. He had a tag on him so that we could keep a track of his progress and locate him whenever we needed to check in with him. I was so excited as the prospect of seeing him again.

I jumped into the back seat of the car and started to get changed. Luckily we had blacked out windows. I then moved into the front and Robert started the engine.

"Ready?" he asked,

"One more thing," I said. I reached across and kissed his cheek, "I love you," I told him. His face relaxed into a smile and I saw his cheeks reddening. Even after all this time we still made each other's heart race.

As we drove along I was telling him all of the updates from America and he was filling me in on everything that had been happening at the Zoo. His stories were much more interesting than mine. I also had packed some American snacks which we couldn't get in Australia, he was pretty happy with those.

"So when do classes start?" Robert asked as he drove us down the long, wide Australian roads. After a lot of debate I had decided to still complete my Social Worker training alongside my Zoo training. It was going to be a lot but I was excited and I had the biggest, most supportive family around me.

"Officially Monday but I need to speak to Doctor Brett about my placement hours," I said. As we drove Robert's phone received a call. He answered it on loudspeaker,

"Have you got her yet?" Bindi asked excitedly,

"Yes, yes she's here," Robert laughed.

"Hey Bindi, how are you?" I asked,

"Aww, I'm so excited to see you love," she said. Bindi really was a bubble of energy that no one else could compare too. She was so positive and so radiant and being in her presence just made you feel happier. A real Glinda the Good Witch with her own personal bubble of magic that she floated around in. "Chandler and I are just getting everything ready for dinner, we're cooking for you guys tonight," she said, "and Mum'll be here too," she said,

"What about Wes?" I asked,

"Oh yeah he's coming too," Bindi said, "couldn't forget him, he'd smell the food out from his own house and come looking for it anyway," she laughed.

"You really didn't have to go to so much trouble," I told her, though if she could see the smile on my face she would know that I was glad she had! 

"Of course we did! We wanted to welcome you home," she chimed excitedly.

"Alright well we're gonna stop by the Koala sanctuary first," Robert said, "So we'll probably be back at the house for maybe six or seven," he said,