Welcome To Australia Zoo

I took one final look in the mirror. I guess it would have to do. I had been studying abroad in Australia for two months and today was by far the hottest day. Typical I guess as it was also the first day of my new job. I'd signed up to be a volunteer at the Australia Zoo for my final few months before I went home to America. My advisor didn't think this was the best idea. I already had classes and my Social Worker placement to deal with but in truth, it had always been a dream of mine and so whatever it cost, I intended to find the time.

            I had always loved animals. When I was a young child my bookcases were filled with child encyclopedias' and books about the different animals of the world. Our family had two dogs and a Guinea Pig and I've always been involved with horses. Whenever anyone in my family went traveling out of the country, they would always bring me an animal related gift back with them. My Dad got me a teddy Rhino and my Aunt adopted a bottlenose Dolphin for me. My favorite toy was my Barbie veterinary rescue set. I used to love pretending I was in South Africa rescuing animals from poachers.

The khaki shirt and shorts were surprisingly comfy, though I could feel the sweat already forming under my arms, behind my knees, and in other places I just won't detail. I tightened my hair which I had braided into two French braids, and checked the laces of my boots were tied. I was all set to go. I walked out of the bathroom and followed the crowd of similarly dressed people into the classroom where we were to receive our first day of training. Zoo Orientation.

"Right everyone well that's all from me, so I'm going to split you into two groups. One group of you is going to go with Robert and Wes down to the Reptile area while the other group of you are going with Bindi and you'll be working on preparing food and giving tours today."

I couldn't believe my luck. I had been at the zoo for a little over three hours and already I was allowed to start working. I was sure I wouldn't be doing anything real for at least a few days. I guess there's no stopping when you work at a zoo. As our instructor continued to tell us about our days I saw a door to the right of me open and the two familiar faces of Australia zoo walked in. Bindi and Robert Irwin.

Bindi's smile was contagious, her warm brown eyes scanned the room and her smile continued to grow. She leaned over and said something to her brother Robert, who although several years younger than her, towered over her. He began to grin as he too looked around the room. He gave her a nudge with his elbow and they both started giggling. It was adorable to watch. I hadn't seen my brother in what felt like a lifetime. Though I had only left America two months ago, he was studying at a college on the other side of the country to me and so in truth I hadn't seen him for nearly a full year. We were close like Bindi and Robert and I missed him.

"Okay everyone on this side of the room, go ahead and follow Bindi, everyone on this side of the room- Robert will take you out of that door at the back. Thanks guys, have a great first day!"

"Hello everybody and welcome to Australia Zoo, I am so pleased to have you all here with us. We've got such a busy day planned for you so please do try to keep up but if you have any questions please please please ask them now. We love our animals and our guests and we want to make sure you guys are ready and prepared to give them the best day possible." Bindi explained as she led us down the pathway, past the giraffe enclosure. "Now you've all filled out your application packets so we've been working to make sure you're placed with the animals and team that best fit you. We're still working on that so you'll all have your assignments in a couple of days. I do have some of you already though so when we get to the tour center I just need to speak with Clemence Ward, Tommy Knight, and Kayla Birmingham."

As Bindi continued to lead us down the path I felt my heart beat growing stronger and stronger. Did this mean they had a job for me already? Or was there a problem? I was so nervous. But looking around at the phenomenal wildlife that surrounded me, I knew I had nothing to worry about.

When we reached the tourist center everyone was paired up with an older and more experienced volunteer, except from Tommy, Kayla and I who walked over to Bindi to see where she was going to send us next.

"Hi lovelies, we're so happy you're here with us. You guys actually have a bit of an advantage because we already have you placed so Clemence..." Bindi looked up from her clipboard to see where I was. I gave her a small wave and she giggled, "You're main animal focus is going to be the zebras, you said in your application you've worked with horses all of your life right?" she asked, I nodded, "Great and also we're super lucky right now because we have a pregnant zebra so you're going to working closely with Dr. Brett Gardner to help out with that. Does that sound okay?" she asked. I could not believe my luck.

"That sounds amazing!" I exclaimed. She could have told me I was working with any animal and I would have been mesmerized, but to actually work with animals I knew a little about. I was beyond excited. Bindi went on to explain where Tommy and Kayla would both be positioned and she quickly explained to them how to get there. Then she led me over to one of the golf karts.

"The hospital is a little further away from the zoo but don't worry, Dr. Brett will be driving you around today so you won't get lost," Bindi explained as she began to drive.

"Thank you so much for this opportunity," I told her,

"Oh of course! We love to have volunteers at the zoo!"

"It's always been a hope of mine to come here one day and now I have the opportunity to work here, it's just incredible," I told her.

"So what brought you to Australia?" she asked, "I can tell there's some kind of accent going on," we both laughed.

"Oh yeah. Boston, Masschussets," I told her, "I'm here on a study abroad. I'm studying at the University of Queensland."

"That's so incredible, what are you studying?" she asked. I couldn't believe how genuinely interested she seemed.

"Social work, particularly mental health and substance abuse cases" I explained, "though I'm only in my first year so everything is mostly just cases out of books. I won't get any hands on experience until next year," I added. Bindi nodded,

"Well you've come to the right place," she said with a laugh. I raised an eyebrow. Huh? She noticed my confusion. "Oh I just mean that animals have a phenomenal way of helping people over come even the hardest of challenges and so many of our animals are used for mental health therapy. Maybe you could ask Dr. Brett to tell you more about it, it would be so cool if we could help you with your studies."

"Wow, yeah that would be amazing." I could not believe my luck. Bindi was being so welcoming to me and I felt at home already. Little did I know, this was only going to increase tenfold during my time at Australia zoo! "Oh look we got here at the same time as him," she said excitedly as she stopped the golf kart.

"Good morning Bindi," a man in his thirties called out. "How's it going?" he asked. He was a tall man, handsome in his own way. His hair was swept back with Brylcreem, I imagined it to be loose and surfer-like when he didn't style it.

"I brought your intern for the day," Bindi said,

"My intern? I thought I was getting a volunteer?" he asked with a laugh. He held out his hands, "Nice to meet you, I'm Dr. Brett," he said, I shook his hand firmly.

"Clemence, it's a pleasure to meet you," I said politely as I shook his hand. The closer I got the more handsome I realized he was. But then again, aren't all veterinarians? It's one of those careers that instantly makes you more attractive. Like not only are you incredibly smart, but your heart must also be incredibly big if you devote your days to saving animals. That just ticks all the boxes. "So if I'm right you're going to be helping me with our zebra pregnancy?" Dr. Brett asked, I nodded enthusiastically, "Great well let's head inside, we'll get you all situated and we'll go and have our first check on our mare."

"I'll see you guys later," Bindi said as she hopped back in the golf kart. "It was great meeting you Clemence," she giggled before driving off. I turned back to Dr. Brett and saw he was holding the door open for me.

"Are you ready?" he asked with a raised eyebrow. A smiled formed on my lips and I stepped forward to begin my first day at Australia Zoo.