Chapter 04: This is how we dance

A full moon hung in the sky against a very dark navy, almost black, star-filled background. No clouds obscured its bright, almost majestic form, as it beamed light down upon the Middleton High playing fields. It had just gone midnight, but the air still held a light warmth; there was no breeze. Completely alone and at least half a mile away from any other wakened individual, Kim and Shego stood a few meters apart on the dry grass and faced each other.

"Last chance to back out, Kimmie," Shego taunted, her black lips forming into a wide smile. Not that you would, but if you even think about it, I'll hurl plasma balls at you all the way home.

"Is that your way of telling me you're scared and want to call this off?" Kim goaded in reply. She laughed internally. As if either of us is going to back out now. She's as desperate for this as I am. I guess the villain life has been rather boring of late.

"Bring it, Possible!"

"Oh, don't worry, I will!"

Guards raised; the pair slowly gravitated towards one another. By the time they had drawn to within a meter and a half, they began circling.

"Hero's first," Shego said with a smirk, inviting Kimmie to throw the first punch. For now, at least, she kept her glow suppressed.

"You asked for it," Kim replied and without breaking breath, launched a front-snap-kick at her opponent's chest.

Shego parried the blow to the side with an outer forearm block but had to duck as Kimmie used the momentum to throw a turning-kick at her head with her other leg. This was quickly followed up by a back-kick from the first leg that she had to backflip away from. A three-kick combo straight off the bat, damn Princess is fired up for this. To bad for her that it's my turn. Landing on the balls of her feet, Shego sprang forward into a flying-side-kick.

Kim saw the technique coming too late to effectively counter it and so was forced to jump backwards beyond its reach. She had no time to pause for breath as the second Shego landed, the woman launched straight into a series of punches that she was hard-pressed to block. However, she managed to catch a break when she rather riskily diverted one across her own chest, leaving her with an opening to launch a knee strike straight at Shego's side. At the last second, the raven-haired woman threw herself to the ground and rolled away unscathed. Heh, I guess my opening salvo got her all worked up, good.

Shego had only half picked herself up off the ground when she was forced to parry an axe-kick that had been on a collision course with her head. Unfortunately, the momentum behind it had been such that her forearm immediately began to throb. Damn, that hurts like hell. She quickly retaliated by dropping back down and sweeping at Kimmie's standing leg. The red-haired girl hopped over it effortlessly.

As though it were happening in slow motion, Kim, still in mid-air, saw Shego spring to her feet and caught the first opening of their dance. Before the other woman had fully formed her guard, she sent a side-kick straight through it, catching her square in the chest and sending her flying. Gotcha! First blood to me. A grin had already formed on her lips before she touched back down on the ground and she could already feel the adrenaline begin to course through her veins. "So, is this why you and Drakken have been hiding lately? You've lost your touch?"

Shego drew in a laboured breath through her nostrils as she took a moment to recover from the blow. Damn, guess I'll need to up my game a bit. She smiled as she picked herself up off the ground. "I had to give you at least one, Kimmie. After all, you did buy me a drink." Raising her guard, she quickly closed the distance between them. Feinting a turning-kick, she brought her foot back in a swift hooking-kick. Her opponent ducked and took a stab at her stomach with a fore fist punch. However, Shego had been ready for this, blocked it with a forearm and rechambered her leg into a snap-kick.