Beautiful

The next morning, Donnie was laying on the couch, staring at the ceiling with a blank expression. Leo, coming out of his room to make breakfast, looked with concern at his brother.

"How are you, Don?" When his brother didn't respond, Leo hopped over the couch to sit next to Donnie, while he just sighed.

"I messed up Leo, big time. I...thought I was doing a good thing by saving her life, but she just hates me now." The purple-clad brother turned onto his stomach and pressed his face into a pillow, groaning with frustration.

"I'm sure she'll be fine. She's gone through a lot, you can't blame her for being upset and going through shock. Just give her some time and she'll be fine." He put a hand on his brother's shoulder. "Don't worry about it Donnie." With that, he stood up and continued to the kitchen, leaving Donnie to lay in his thoughts.

You didn't know how long you'd been asleep. You didn't know what day it was or why you were still here. You thought that if you slept long enough, you'd be back in your comfy bed in your own home, the most of your problems being a math test or the WiFi going out. But no. You're still stuck here, you're still ugly, and you still have to live in this disgusting sewer until you find a way home.

You just sat there, laying in bed, no more tears in your eyes after crying every time you woke up. You stared at the ceiling, mind blank but at the same time swirling with thoughts. It wasn't until a gentle knock at the door snapped you out of your trance.

"(Y/N)? Are you awake?" You heard Donnie's voice from outside. You tried to stay as silent as you could, but you were unable to suppress a cough. He gently opened the door, but you turned away and wrapped yourself in a blanket, squeezing your eyes shut.

He stepped over to the bed and sat at the edge, placing a hand on your shoulder. When you winced from the pain, he drew it sharply away and gasped softly. "Sorry." He mumbled, not knowing what else to say. The two of you sat in silence, and you could tell he was thinking hard about his next words.

"Listen, I know you're upset, and you have every right to be. But I want you to know that above all, I'm just glad you're alive and well. You could have been mutated, or crippled, or killed. You survived, and you're alright. That's all I care about." You curled up in a ball even more, not wanting to face him. You heard him sigh. "(Y/N), please look at me. I need you to trust what I say."

"Why, Donnie?" You said, muffled by the blanket. "I'm messed up. I'm ugly. I deserve to stay under the blanket until you find a way to send me home."

He put another hand on you, this time on your arm where the scars weren't. "Look at me, please."

You froze for a second, then hesitantly turned to look at him, your blurry eye adjusting to the light. He gazed at you for a moment, making you uncomfortable, but you kept staring into his own eyes, trying to ignore your own. "(Y/N), nothing that happened to you will change who you are. I know we've only known each other for a little bit of time, but in that time I've learned how much of a wonderful person you are to be around. It isn't about what you look like on the outside, it's about what's inside. I know it's cheesy, but trust me." That made you chuckle a bit, and you both cracked a smile, with his revealing his tooth gap. "Listen, you're beautiful on this inside, aside from all the blood and guts and stuff. And that makes you beautiful on the outside."

Your smile fades for a second. You couldn't accept the compliment with your gross eye and scars. "Donnie, I really appreciate it, but look at me. I have scars up and down, I'm bruised, half-blind, and I can hardly take care of myself anymore. I don't think that makes me beautiful."

Donnie was quiet, looking you straight in the eyes. "I think it does." He smiles and you feel your blush again. You try to look away, but try as you might, you can't tear your eyes away from his. And maybe, just maybe, you see his cheeks under his mask just a little darker shade of green than normal.

"And hey," he continues. "Now we're matching purple!" He pointed to his mask and you smiled, feeling your spirits lift a little higher.

"Thanks, Donnie." You chuckle. You toss the sheets aside and sit up, wincing at the strain on your back. "Um...do you think I can get a bit of training from you, maybe? I really don't want to be put in a situation like that again, and maybe a few basic moves won't hurt if I need to defend myself."

His smile fades for a second. "I don't know if that's such a good idea, (y/n). You're not in great shape, and you don't wanna make it worse." He places a hand on your head, pushing your hair back out of your eyes. "How about you rest, huh? Enjoy a book or two and we'll talk about that another time." He grins, showing his gap, and you can't resist smiling again. You watch him as he stands up, shooting one last glance at you. "Let me know if you need anything, alright? I'll be in my lab." And with that, he closes the door, and you're left practically buzzing, and feeling a little more beautiful.