Chapterish 20

CHEAP GOODBYES

The room is drenched in warm yellow sunlight. White snow is piled high on the windowsill again and for a brief moment I pray we are snowed in. Brooks is already up and out of the room, his bag packed by the door. My eyes wander to the shoebox resting on top the log bench.

I think back to the prom photo I know it holds. That photo is proof. It's proof of who we were and who we aren't anymore.

Knock. Knock.

"Yea? Come in!" I shout at the door.

I sit up against the headboard and play with my T-shirt to make sure it's covering all the goods.

Trix comes waltzing into the room, silk pajamas matching her pink robe. It's the exact color of a jelly shot I did last night. My eyes go to the mugs in her hand.

"Hi honey," she says, sitting on the bed next to me.

"Morning," I grumble, still groggy. I take the coffee she holds in front of me.

"We've got the head out early. Have to meet the florist at noon." Trix's voice has her wedding-plan tone to it.

"Rough." I find my phone on the bedside table and click it for the time. "It's like 7 AM."

"Not like. It is 7 AM." She pats my hair against my shoulder. "Come on!"

I resist her attempt to spring me from the covers. Instead, I pull her head against the pillow next to mine.

"Lay with me," I pout. "Please."

I know she can't resist my sing-songy voice. I've perfected my imitation of her so well that even she can't help but laugh.

"Fine!" Trix concedes, slipping under the covers.

"This was a good weekend," I say, sipping my liquid energy.

"It was. Did you doubt me?" Trix asks.

"Course not," I shake my head. "Just a foretaste of the next trip."

"Oh?" Trix sounds intrigued.

"The bachelor and –ette party." I shrug.

"Right," Trix laughs. "Which you're still not telling me anything about."

"Mums the word." I fake lock my lips with an invisible key. "But really. This weekend was gold. You're gold, babe."

"We're gold," Trix smiles.

"We are," I agree.

I'm reminded of Fort Night, of Trix flying across the country to comfort me in my time of need. I'm beyond grateful for this human.

"You know I love you," I say into my coffee mug.

"I do." Trix nods, grinning. "Is that your goodbye?"

I laugh. "Maybe. Maybe I'm just reminding you."

"Ugh. I don't want to say bye! I don't want my maid of honor to disappear again. Go all west-coasty on me." Trix makes a frowny lip.

"Babe, I won't go all west-coasty," I laugh, letting my head lead against the headboard.

"Good. Now come on!" Trix slaps the comforter over my legs. "Get decent and come say bye to everyone!"

Trix hops from my bed and scampers across the room to the door.

"Ugh. Kay," I shout after her.

I'm already regretting the leaving –like I'm somehow worried it's another ending. Just me being irrational again. My strongest character trait. OK, flaw.