9. 𝙁𝙞𝙯𝙗𝙤

Today was Luke's birthday, Gloria, and I were in the Living room. Jay walked down the stars holding a crossbow. "Hey, Gloria, you got any idea how to wrap one of these things?" Jay asked.

"Is that a crossbow?" Gloria asked.

"Yeah. Am I the greatest grandpa in the world or what?" Jay grinned.

"We can't give Luke a crossbow. He pokes himself in the eye every time he uses a straw." Gloria said.

"Are you kidding?" Jay's grin dropped, "I had one when I was his age. My dad used to give me a quarter for every crow i bagged."

"And I used to have a machete. But times have changed." Gloria told him.

"It'll be fine. I'll teach him how to use it." Jay said. A second later Manny entered the room. "Hey, pal, how's it going?" Jay asked him.

"Am I charming?" Manny asked him.

"Oh, boy." Jay looked down at the ground.

"Of course you're charming. Who said you were not charming?" Gloria said. Manny turned to look at her.

"No one. But there's a girl in my school, and I want her to like me." Manny said, walking to were Gloria and I were stood. Gloria, and I sat down on the sofa. Manny joined us. "I need your advice, Jay."

"Really?" Jay asked, sitting down on the armchair.

"She's gonna be at Luke's party." Manny told him.

"Well, I'm a little thrown. I mean, you don't usually come to me for advice."

"Well, this is one area in which you've done pretty well." Manny said, referring to Gloria.

"He has a point." Gloria said.

"I've tried everything to get her attention. Opening doors, having milk sent over in the cafeteria. Nothings worked." Manny told him.

"Here's the deal. Girls don't go for all that romantic stuff. They go for power and success. And since you don't have either one of those things, you're gonna be the funny guy." Jay said. Manny nodded.

——

We arrive at the party. Phil and Claire came over to greet us. "Hola, Claire. Hola, Phil." Gloria said, getting out of the car.

They both said 'Hello' before we joined the party. Jay got a drink and Manny stared at a girl. "That's her — Bianca Douglas." Manny says, pointing at her. Gloria and Jay look to where he was pointing. She was a blonde girl, and she was laughing at something her friend had said.

"She's so cute." Gloria said.

"She has good handwriting." Manny says, "She's a complete package. Wish me luck."

"You don't need luck. You just remember those jokes I told you, hmm?" Jay said. Manny nodded then walked over to her.
Gloria, Jay, And I watched.

"Hi, Y/N." Luke said, I turned away from Manny and smiled at him.

"Hi, Luke. Happy birthday." I tell him. He smiled.