18. 𝙁𝙚𝙖𝙧𝙨

Gloria, Jay, And I were in the kitchen. I was sat on a stool, drinking some tea and reading a book, Jay was reading the newspaper, and Gloria was making some food.

"Mum?" Manny asked as he walked into the kitchen, "I have a fever."

"Ay, mi amor." Gloria frowned, "Come here and I feel you."

"Oh." Manny stopped walking and stood next to Jay and I, "I don't wanna get you sick. It could be fatal." Manny said, I looked up from my book, and looked at Manny.

"Then by all means," Jay began as he moved his newspaper towards Manny, using it as a shield, "stand next to me."

Gloria stopped what she was doing and walked over to Manny. "Let me feel you." She pet he hands on Manny's forehead, and in his cheeks. "Ay, papi, But you're not warm"

"Uh, probably because you were cooking and your hands are warm." Manny said, making Jay and I furrow our eyebrows, "I better skip the party tomorrow just to be safe."

"Oh. Yeah, the party." Gloria nodded. Gloria looked down at Jay, making him look up at her.

"What?" He asked.

"The party." She whispered.

"I understand about 20% of what goes on around here."

Gloria walked away from us. Jay looked towards me, "You know what Party they're talking about?"

"Hmm?" I looked up from my book, "Oh, yes, I do. There's a party at an amusement park, Manny was invited, but Manny is terrified of rollercoasters." I told him. Jay nodded and got up.

——

Gloria walked back into the kitchen, "Jay, he won't admit it, but I know that Manny's sad because he's missing the party. Why don't we take him somewhere to take his mind off it, hmm?"

"I could have guessed he'd have trouble with rollercoasters. That kid gets woozy at barbershops when they spin his chair towards the mirror." Jay said in a grumpy tone — one that we were all used to.

"How about we take him to the pier and go fishing, huh?" Gloria smiled, "Manny!"

"He likes to fish?" Jay asked, taking off his reading glasses.

"Yeah." Gloria nodded, "He comes from a long line of fishermen and smugglers. But I encourage the fishing." Gloria smiles.

"Aunt Gloria?" I began, making her turn to look at me.

"Yes, mi amor?"

"I don't really like fishing, could I go and visit a friend instead?" I asked her, she smiled and nodded.

"Of course, Mi amor." Gloria Adair as Manny walked into the kitchen.

"Manny, you like to fish?" Jay asked.

"Fishing? Yeah." Manny nodded.

"You want to go to the pier today?" Gloria asked him.

"Is this a trick to see if I'm really sick?" Manny asked, his eyebrows furrowing.

"No." Gloria said as she moved some of his hair aside, "Maybe the fresh air will make you feel better."