Chapter 25: I Swear You're Not In Trouble

EDIT: (8/13/2020) Took out a word I know now has racist/ableist origins

Okay so yeah this chapter is, hm, but!

Also, the band Bones & Bridges is so good but they disappeared off the face of the damn earth in 2018 and only released two songs. 

-rabid

***

"Shhh," I reach over and brush some hair out of August's face.

"Come here," she giggles, tossing her arms up around my neck. "When's Jills back?"

"She's sleeping over at Belle's again," I kiss August's neck and enjoy the way a breath slips from her. "We've got all night to ourselves."

"So we do."

"So we do." She reaches up and kisses my mouth. It's soft and angelic like the Maine sea breeze on a warm day. Refreshing and relaxing. But not calming. Nope. This kiss makes me desperate. Makes both of us desperate. Desperate and turned on and really really breathy.

Which explains why I've got her in my room before I've had time to count my sins. August's arms are up my shirt and feeling all over my back and chest. My hands have failed to stay within the holy range of her body, and as I push her down into my sheets, they're drifting everywhere I'm desperate to know.

There's a ringing in the back of my head, but I ignore it, kissing down August's miraculously now-bare chest. I take my vibrating phone from my pocket and set it on the side cabinet in my room, my hands sliding up her back and into her hair.

"Steph," she lets out a whisper and I kiss her lips again.

"Mhmm?"

"Should you get that?"

"No, I-" I pause. That ring is familiar.

"It's Jilly." August is out of breath and so am I. I sit up, half undressed, and look at my phone.

"Why's she calling?" I mumble.

"It's the third time." August sits up and hugs me from behind, setting her head on my bare back.

"I have to take it, I'm sorry." She nods.

"I get it, it's okay," I take a deep breath and answer the call. Instantly I know something is wrong, there's music blaring in the background and I hear voices, too many voices.

"Steph, can you come get me?" She sounds like she's crying. I flip immediately from young-guy-falling-in-love to single-father-scared-for-his-kid and at the same time older-brother-about-to-beat-the-shit-out-of-someone.

"Jilly? Where are you?" I stiffen a bit and August sits up to listen in.

"I'm, not, I'm at Ben's house, you know, Logan's friend? There's, I want to go home." She's sobbing. I turn to August.

"What's going on?"

"There was a party, Belle wanted to go, Steph please can you just come." I grab my discarded shirt and toss August hers. I take my free hand through my hair.

"I need the address," I say.

"I'll send you my location, please just be fast." She sniffles and sneezes.

"Where are you in the house?"

"I'm in the upstairs bathroom."

"Stay there. Wait until I get there, be safe." I panic. August is struggling with her shirt.

"I'll try, there's, just please." She sneezes again.

"I'll be right there, just, stay where you are, I gotta go."