9. Nerves of Steel

Third Person POV

For the practice match, the teams were divided into 3, with Kanon, Nozomi, and Mikki on one team and the other with Izumi, Michi, and Chiyoko.

Rie stands next to the scoreboard and checks the time on her watch. "Knowing our coach, she'll probably come later, and our other members will drizzle in, so we probably should start without them."

"That's fine. This is only a practice match to see how the first years are skill-wise," Chiyoko points out. "One set should be good enough."

As Mikki ties her hair into a ponytail, she turns to Kanon. "So how good are you in volleyball to be known as second-ranked in Japan?" Mikki asks Kanon as she puts on her forearm protection sleeves.

"Good overall. Are you asking because you're worried that we'll lose?" Kanon questions, confused, and a vein pops on Mikki's head.

"Of course not! I'll be the one to carry this team, so don't underestimate me on the court. I'll show you how great I am!" Mikki proudly proclaims with her arms crossed.

Nozomi watches the interaction between the two first years. "Why do I feel like these first years will be a hassle to deal with." She quietly mumbles to herself.

On the other side, Michi watches her sister with a unimpressed expression on her face. "I can't believe I'm related to her," Michi shakes her head in disappointment, then grabs her water bottle, and the paper note she received from her locker this morning slips out.

Izumi notices and picks up the paper note. "Michi, you dropped this." She takes a closer look and reads the message on the paper note.

Who do you think you are? Get away from him.

- Anonymous

"Is it happening again?" Izumi hands the paper note to Michi. "Did you tell Mikki?"

Michi recognizes the note and sighs. "I didn't tell her yet. It seems like she didn't receive one yet, so I didn't want to bother her with mine."

"You're too nice, Michi," Izumi chuckles.

"I know that's why these idiotic girls think I'm an easy target," Michi says, then smirks. "Well since you saw it now, you know the drill."

"Of course, let's deal with these shallow girls first thing tomorrow morning," Izumi says with a scheming smile.

Chiyoko claps her hands to gather our attention. "Girls, are you ready?"

"Ready!" Everyone responds and positions themselves in the court.

Mikki POV
(Practice Match - Set 1: 16-12)

I watch Kanon bounce the volleyball as she prepares to serve.

I hate to admit it, but she's good. We only played one set together, but she's well versed in receiving, spiking, and setting. In addition, her reflexes are fast so she can adapt quickly. Her only downfall is that she doesn't put in so much power in her attacks, but this doesn't slow down her gameplay.

Kanon serves the volleyball, and Chiyoko receives it. Izumi positions herself on the volleyball, and I glance at Michi as she sprints to the left side of the court and jumps up into the air.

I quickly follow her and jump up to block Michi. Michi notices me and smirks. My eyes widen, realizing the mistake I made.

Decoy!

I turn to Chiyoko and see her running to the right side of the net, completely open.

Shit!

Izumi tosses the volleyball to Chiyoko, but before I can react, Kanon sprints over and blocks the spike, winning another point for us.