chapter fifteen

Ziva was lying in bed. She kept turning and changing sleep positions. It was night, the full moon could be seen through Ziva's curtains. Cherry meowed softly in her sleep, curling herself more into Ziva's neck, continuing her sleep.

A soft knock woke Cherry up though, causing the cat to look up from her sleep. She stood up, stretched herself and walked effortlessly to the window, peeking from there as to what the cause was of the knock.

There stood Tommy, with a small smile playing on his lips. He was watching Ziva sleep peacefully before he tried knocking again, hoping for the girl to wake up.

Never in his life had Tommy climbed in a tree before. He thought 'what would be the worst thing that could happen?' before he climbed in the tree.

Ziva murmured something inaudible in her sleep before turning around.

Tommy made eye contact with Cherry. A disappointed sigh left his lips, softly. He had been so busy hanging out with Elijah, that he started missing Ziva more and more. Even though they were ironically closer to each other that she thought.

"I'll miss you."

Tommy mouthed the words, no sound leaving his lips. His eyes wavered on Ziva before he started to get down and planning to home and just watch his friend from afar in his room.

But, like the cat had sensed it, she ran over to her owner and began pawing at Ziva's face. The sudden  impacts on her face made Ziva wake up in confusion as her eyes shot open, trying to block the attacks of Cherry.

"Dammit Cherry!" Ziva groaned, her eyes going around the room before locking them on icy blue eyes that were staring at her already.

Ziva slowly got out of bed, walking to the window and opening it for her friend. "What are you doing?" She asked in a hushed tone, looking back at her alarm before turning back around. "At three am?" Tommy shrugged in response, stumbling in her room. He seated himself in her bed, grabbing the black cat and cuddled her close to him. Ziva closed the window softly, also sitting on the bed.

Before Ziva could open her mouth, something grabbed Tommy's attention. He grabbed it under the pillow, opening it. He hadn't even read a full sentence before the book was snatched out of his hand. A stuttering mess of Ziva stood before him. "T-Tommy!" she called out. "You c-can't just open someone's diary!" She held it protective against her chest.

Tommy's hand stayed in the same position before he slowly closed it. He just looked at Ziva as if he didn't know what she was talking about. But, one thing was sure. He saw his name in there.

Tommy Tate.

Why was is name in there? Why would Ziva write about him in her diary? He wasn't that important. But he'll be damned if he wouldn't read it.

Slowly, the boy nodded. As if he had understood it.

Ziva huffed, watching Tommy suspiciously before she put it back under pillow. "Don't touch it," she says pointing her finger at him. The boy put his hands defensively up.

He acted like it didn't bother him. But it did.
In fact, it bothered him that much, that he couldn't get it out of his head when he hung out with Ziva.

Tommy was back in his room, staring at the wall as he let his thoughts run over and over. His hands tiredly rubbed his face. It was six AM. But he didn't wanted to go to sleep. When he would sleep, he would be consumed by the darkness, no memory left of his dreams. The boy had even thought to himself that he couldn't dream. Maybe dreaming was something that only people with happiness experienced. Or for people that still had hope left in their soul. Or, it was just a privilege he didn't had access to.