Chapter 29

Abigail's pov

I woke up to find me and Damon hugging each other. Wait what!!!! Hugging!!!! What the hell!!!! We were miles apart when we slept yesterday. Oh God!! I slowly pried his hands and gently tiptoed downstairs.

I saw Mary working in the kitchen. "Good morning Abigail. Did you sleep alright?" she asked lovingly. "Yeah Mary, I slept like a baby" thanks to certain someone I thought. "Go and take a bath. Breakfast will be ready by the time you come." I nodded and went .

    I took a shower and put on a faded blue jeans and purple T-shirt that I packed with me in case of emergency. I blowdried my hair and went to eat as I was starving. I didn't mind putting any makeup.

    As I was eating my breakfast, Mary was reciting me the effects of the storm. Apparently, the storm hit the town hard and so many people lost their homes. Roads were blocked. This caught my attention. How can we go home?

  "Mary... is Mr.Damon awake yet? I need to discuss about our return trip". She looked at me and facepalmed herself.

   "Oh good gracious! I totally forgot. Master Damon left somewhere. He told me to inform you that he will be back late" I nodded. I can't do anything in this situation can I? Since the roads are blocked, I think it's nearly impossible to reach home today. I sighed.

" I have prepared lunch for you. When you are hungry, you can heat it and have it. I have to go somewhere. Will you be alright on your own? There are some servants left in the building. If you need something you can ask them." I nodded.

"No problem Mary. I can manage. It must be a very important work for you it seems" I laughed.

"Not like that dear. Due to the storm, so many houses has been demolished by the wind and people were stuck in the debris. Since the roads were blocked, we couldn't get help from the nearby towns. So people are volunteering. They need all the help they can get. Since I'm done here, I thought maybe I can go and help them." Suddenly an idea came to my mind.

  "Mary... can I come with you? I don't have anything to do here anyway. Maybe I can help along with you.." Mary seems hesitant. "I'm not sure how master Damon will react Abby."

"You don't worry about him. He won't be coming until late anyway. By that time we will be be back right?" She nodded.

"So no worries. Wait a minute. I will grab my wallet and phone" without waiting for her reply I jumped from the chair and ran inside the room.

  Since I came here in heels, Mary gave me a pair of flip flops saying that would be comfortable. We both started walking towards the town. On our way so many trees had fallen down and so many cars has been thrashed by the wind. The scene looked horrible. I genuinely felt bad for the people.

   Once we came to the worst affected area, we started helping others by lifting the ruins of buildings and checking weather someone is stuck inside or not.

   "We need some hands here to lift" came a voice from the other side to where we were working. I told Mary that I will go and help there. I ran across and started lifting the huge tree which has fallen completely on a house. There were nearly 13 people including me trying to lift the tree. But the tree was so damn heavy. We could only lift a little bit. Someone on the other far end shouted, "we have a child trapped inside".

  The only way to reach the child was to lift the tree. There is no other way. But lifting it is nearly impossible. Another guy shouted from the far end " try one more time guys. This time with all your might. We need to save the kid." This gave us some encouragement. On the count of three everyone started lifting. My hands were shaking. Sweat was dripping from my forehead. We could only lift a little bit and someone put some weight to the opening created by lifting the tree so that It would not close again. But the gap was too small.