Chapter 7; The makeover.

Professor Callahan loved Jada Christina Winterdawn. He cackled, he giggled, he sang, he completely weirded me out but he also gave me an A so I was fine with it.
    " I knew you could do it, ugly betty", he said adjusting his glasses that sat askew on his nose due to his general giddiness.
"So", he continued " when do you hope to begin the practical you know you're a bit behind, other students have begun with successful results and your first reports are due next week".
For the life of me I couldn't understand why this weird man was so adamant that I in particular got the best out of my education but I wasn't complaining even if he was pushy. I assured him that I would begin with my practical no later than the next day and left his office. I pulled out my phone and text Christen as I whistled down the hallway.
Me; Any crazy raves tonight?
Her response was only seconds in coming.
Chrissy;🧖‍♀️💅✊✊💃
Not like a understood all of it but it's Chrissy I get it.
.........💦........... 💦...............💦.................💦....

"Spaaaaaaaaa daaaaaayyyyyyyy", Chrissy sang hopping about me like a bunny on crack.
So you know that emoji with the lady in towels, apparently that means spa day. Did you know it's not just enough to buy a whole new wardrobe to become a different person you have to have new hairstyles and fix your nails and whatnot. Did you also know I am ditching all my classes for today to rip off all my bodily hair with wax and get hair,nails and facials done?. If you ask me this is already Jada mode for me.
   "So what do you wanna do with your Jada hair?", Christen asked as we walked into the spa lobby.
"Why are you asking me, you'll have your way with me anyway", I replied distractedly soaking in the grandeur of the lobby alone. Beauty business was some real money.
             "True", Christen quipped strutting her way to the front desk.
"Hello Gertha", she greeted the middle aged, primed looking lady behind the counter.
"Christen Summerdawn", the lady exclaimed her face splitting in a fond smile, " but you've already been by this month".
" oh Gertha beauty is an act never performed too often, although I am not here for just myself", there was a pause where Christen motioned for Gertha to come closer as she leaned in herself. Gertha immediately bent her ear towards Christens mouth but all that conspiracy drama was useless as soon as Christen began to speak. " you see my friend over there, don't look now but once you do you will see that she is in urgent need of immediate and extreme intervention. We are talking some Cinderella got to make it to the ball intervention here and I know that I have no reservations left for this month but you got to help an old friend Gertha. I will even play my membership card, just do anything you can for me, for her and even for her mother the poor woman can't stand the sight of her daughter anymore, she calls me on the phone in tears, do you understand what I'm dealing with here, you gotta help an old friend Gerthy please?" She finally stopped talking to pull away and bat puppy eyes at Gertha. She didn't stand a chance. If you ask me Christen should be the one in theater. I mean I was naturally dramatic but nothing as intense as that. I am starting to realise that anything fashion can bring out the absolute worst in Christen. Turning away from the desk Christen motioned me forward, everyone in the lobby was staring at me and not just because I looked out of place but because I imagine everyone heard Christen's attempt at a whisper. And actual sad part was no one seemed even ready to protest my taking their spot they were looking at me like I needed it. Like they were giving their limited meal to the beggar child on the street. That's when I realised that my best friend "whispered"on purpose. When I finally stepped up to the front of Gertha's desk she gasped,  her hand flying to her lips " goodness gracious". She gave Christen an expression that said 'this is really bad', Christen nodded back with a face that said ' I told you so'.
        Gertha rang a bell at her desk and an equally primed younger girl with perfect skin, pretty hair and slight make up appeared. "The ICU Bria at once", she ordered and Bria motioned for is to follow her. " Thank you so much Gertha", Christen called as we were being led away while I was thinking the ICU?.
" I'm I so bad looking that you would sign me up for plastic surgery".
She looked confused, " what?"
" The intensive care unit? please tell me this spa is not a cover for an illegal beauty hospital that uses banned drugs to make you exceptionally pretty but unnaturally fashion and beauty crazed".

"Aww do you really think I'm exceptionally pretty"

I glared at her. She rolled her eyes.

" the ICU, they are going to take some extreme measures to make you look more comely" I raised my brows.
" without knives or anything illegal", she added " it's just what they call the premium package they offer. You know full body massage, facial, hair, manicure, pedicure even a quick DIY lesson in light make up application for hopeless situations like you. They even have an ER you know for people with sudden intense breakout, ruined hair and  the likes"
    " hmmm and I'm the weirdo".
We followed Bria in silence for a few more seconds.
" I wonder why you bother to discreetly bad mouth me behind my back when you proudly do it to my face", i spoke out referring to her little stunt with Gertha.
    Christen grinned, " you're welcome".
Bria led us to a locker room where we were given towels and robes to change into. Once we had changed she led us to another smaller waiting area where we didn't have to wait for long before we were graced by the presence of some lunatic. She was dressed in... I don't even know but there was neon green and red and blinding yellow and there was also feathers and beads. Christen must have realised that I looked ready to bolt because she leaned in and properly whispered this time, " don't worry she does not take care of the outfit or makeup focus on her hair she has great hair doesn't she".
She did have great hair beautiful dark locks that glowed like fresh water and followed her every giddy movement not a single tangle in them. I wondered what it was like to brush such hair, magical I supposed.
" I'm Emilia but everyone just calls me Emmy, or Em or E but who cares right", she giggled barely catching her breath or allowing any input before she countinued on "such a potential for beauty and still such a disaster" she murmured her hand pulling on my right pigtail, her voice seemed sober and melancholic and then in one moment she switched back to chatty, " I have never had anybody play the role of a patient so well before, you my dear are in the right place, you have been effectively diagnosed with hair coma, it is the elder sister of bed hair. Don't worry I will teach you all these things. Ugh...so many split ends, chop, chop, chop such fun Bessie my scissors will have. She hasn't had quite the challenge in a while you know..." all along I was giving Christen my rotten glare and she was reciprocating with a pleasing look.
"  ...come along now we haven't time to waste I heard there was a ball", she started to walk away motioning for me to follow her. I got up and before I ventured two steps Christen snatched my hand, her face was the epitome of evil. This girl should really seek a career in the mafia.
  "If you even think for a second of pulling that ditch and go you did yesterday, I will bondage you into a stolen private jet flyover the closest desert and dump you there high and dry still tied up and without a parachute, do you feel me?"
I rolled my eyes
" I'm serious Chels if you don't go through with this I'm never going to help you with anything again and Jada can die a quick death. If you can't trust my judgement then stop referring to me"
" ok fine, I won't do anything stupid and I'm still very sorry about yesterday"
" I know I'm getting over it",
" what but you said you'd forgiven me. Fair's fair remember?", I said just as a distant voice called out "oh cinnnddddyyyyy"
" it's a process honey", Christen replied
My eyes narrowed and she shoved me in the direction of the cackling voice.
              "Go".