Chapter One

The sound of my alarm filled the room as I slowly began to open my eyes. Today was the day.

I always hated changing job. New people, new rules. The anxiety hit me straight away. What will my new colleagues be like? What will the inmates be like? ....

Being a female prison officer is difficult, I trained so hard for the job to follow in my dad's footsteps. He was a prison officer too, I always looked up to him when I was a little girl. He was so brave, and I wanted to be just like him.

Today is my first day at Fox River, a male only high security prison. I'd only ever worked at female prisons before, so this was a huge change for me. I decided to take the role here to start a fresh, start a new life for myself in Chicago. I worked hard to buy myself my first apartment here, but I couldn't be more nervous for today.

I quickly showered and chucked my blonde hair up in a low bun, pulling a few strands out around my face. I put on my new uniform and stared at myself in the mirror. It was all black trousers and shirt with a matching cap.

"Make him proud" I mumbled to myself. As I grabbed my car keys and left.

-

The prison walls towered above me, this was a lot bigger and scarier than my last prison. I could see a few of the inmates out in the yard as I began to walk towards the main entrance.

"It's Elise right?" said a short man who had rushed out to meet me. "Wow, the cons are going to have loads of fun with you" he sneered. Great, let the sexist remarks begin.

"Yes, that is me" I said as I rolled my eyes at him.

"The names Brad Bellick, I'm the head officer here, I'll give you a tour and show you where you'll be based" he said as I followed him inside.

-

After my tour of the prison, Bellick took me to the governors office. The governor was sat as his desk, his hair was fair, a little scruffy. A beaming smile on his face.

"Ah Elise, please sit" he said, gesturing me to the chair. I quickly sat down in front of him. "I'm honoured to have you as part of my team, your father was a great officer for me back in the day" he began.

"Yeah, guess the job runs in the family" I joked.

"I won't lie to you Elise, your first few weeks will be tough, the inmates here are.... let me say.... challenging" he said.

"I'm sure I can handle it sir" I quickly replied, hiding the fact his comment made me nervous.

"If there's anything you need, you must come and speak to me... Your father would have wanted me to take care of you"

I kept a smile on my face as I began to twiddle my thumbs. There was a firm knock at the door and a small lady with short brown hair entered the room.

"Sir, I have Mr Scofield here for you" she announced.

"Perfect, Elise, head out to the psychiatric ward this afternoon, the officers down there will begin your training"

I thanked the governor and stood up to leave the room, I stopped suddenly when a tall man was stood in my tracks. He was wearing blue prison overalls, the sleeves rolled up to his elbows. His arms were covered in tattoos. I gazed at his face, he had piercing blue eyes that stared back at me.

My mouth went dry and I almost gasped at the sight of him. I wasn't expecting to see an inmate at the governor's office. I smiled awkwardly at the man and slipped past him and out of the office. I looked back at him over my shoulder to see he was doing the same, his blue eyes looking straight into my soul.

I quickly looked away and sped out of the building. There was rain in the air and I was relieved to feel the cold rain drops hit my face. Why was I so flustered, what is wrong with me? I need to pull myself together....

-

The rest of the day dragged, I found it so boring going over and over different prison protocol. It was finally time for my break, I walked out of the psychiatric ward and along the path past the compound where a lot of the inmates were chilling outside.

"Hello, pretty" I heard a husky voice call over to me. A skinny guy with straw like hair was leaning against the fence, smiling creepily at me. "It's about time the boss employed some fresh young meat" he spat, licking his bottom lip.

I huffed at him in disgust and carried on strolling past, I heard whistling and jeering come from a few of the other inmates. I guess I'll have to get used to all this.

I saw officer Bellick heading towards me with a couple of the inmates in tow, they were all wearing slightly darker blue overalls than the others.

"Ah Elise, meet the PI group. Soon you'll be in charge of escorting them to and from their cells when we let them out to work" said Bellick.

I looked up at the line of men before me, they all grinned at me, eyes beaming. Damn, it was like these guys had never seen a woman before.

"Abruzzi, Franklin, Sucre..." Bellick began reading off the surnames of the guys behind him. "and Scofield"

My eyes darted to the man stood at the back of the group. It was him, the guy from earlier at the governors office. His eyes met mine and a small smile crept across his face.

"Not another Moretti" joked Abruzzi. I was shocked, how did he know my surname?

"Now now John, don't scare her just yet" laughed Bellick. He walks off and the inmates followed him. All apart from the man I now know as Scofield.

He paused next to me, observing me again.

"Hello again" he whispered, a kind smile grew across his face again. I felt so intimidated by all the other inmates, but not him. I froze, I couldn't help but smile back at him. He was so mysterious, but I felt warmed by his presence.

"Come on Michael, leave the poor girl alone" Sucre shouted over to us.

I quickly walked away, my mind was a blur. This time, I didn't look back at him. What was going on, I need to be professional. Smiling back at an inmate? What am I doing, he could be manipulating me?

-

"Hey honey, how was your first day?" it was a relief to hear my mums voice downs the other end of the phone.

"Umm yeah fine..." I mumbled.

"Ohh, tell me what's wrong?" My mum insisted.

"Honestly nothing is wrong mum, I just feel tired" I replied as I quickly jumped into bed.

"Okay, well you know I'm always here for you, even if we aren't living in the same state anymore ok?"

"Goodnight mum"

I lay awake.

I closed my eyes in attempt to get some sleep.

I saw his eyes in my mind.

Michael Scofield