Chapter Four

I arrived at work the following day, I was working another late shift. I sat in the staff area preparing myself, I couldn't stop thinking about the dream.

"Elise, you're on main cell block tonight" instructed one of the guards. I hadn't worked on the main cell block yet, this would be interesting.

I stood at the top of the stairs, looking at the two floors of cells that surrounded me. All the cells were open and the inmates were wandering freely inside. I scanned the room, looking for Michael.

I spotted T-Bag slowly pacing up and down, acting very shady.

"Keep an eye on him" said one of the guards, who was also on patrol with me tonight. I began to slowly walk around the cells along the first floor balcony. I read the cell numbers in my head as I walked. I peered in each one.

44... 43... 42... 41...

I reached cell 40, there was a white sheet hanging up at the door. What was going on? Suddenly the sheet was pulled down and a very sweaty looking Fernando Sucre stood before me. He smiled at me nervously, I leaned forward to take a closer look inside the cell.

"Everything ok in here?" I instructed. As I said this I soon learned who Sucre's cell mate was.

Micheal was sat on the bottom bunk with a book in his hands, which appeared to be a bible. My eyes met his and I instantly remembered my dream again.

"Yes, fine" Michael said coldly. I was a little taken back by his abrupt reply. My eyes were suddenly drawn to his arms, both were fully covered in tattoos. I scanned over the artwork, it was a mixture of pictures, letters, numbers and some very fine lines.

I met his eyes again and he stared back, he finally cracked a small smile and nodded slightly. I went to speak again when I heard shouting coming from the floor below.

I turned around quickly to see a large fight between a few of the inmates, and of course, T-Bag was right in the middle of it. I rushed towards the fight. Two other prison officers also ran over to help break it up.

It was all a blur, I grabbed one of the younger guys and pulled him out of the fight. There was so much shouting and hollering around us. I spotted T-Bag swinging his arm at one of the officers.

Next thing I knew, there was blood everywhere. The guard screamed out in pain holding his chest. He collapsed to the ground crying out. I ran over to him, my mind started racing, all I could think about was my dad....

I placed my hands firmly over the wound, my whole body was shaking. I couldn't believe what was happening. I could feel a panic attack taking over my body.

"We need back up, main cell block, I repeat, we need back up in the main cell block, we have an officer down" the other officer spoke through his radio.

I stared at the injured officers face. I could feel myself hyperventilating, he wasn't responding. I began to cry, my hands covered in blood. I felt someone grab me and pull me away. More officers had arrived and began rounding up the inmates.

I turned around to see Michael. He pulled me out of the commotion. I looked at him, my lips trembling .

"Come on, let's get you out of here" he said, leading me towards the door.

"Michael I... that guard, is he dead?" I whimpered.

"Shh, the others will handle it" he said.

"That's how he died too.... my dad...." I whispered to Michael, as I continued to sob.

"You don't have to talk about it, tell me when you're ready" he whispered back. "Officer, get Elise out of here" he said to the door guards.

In a way I wanted to stay, not because of the fight and the attack, but because I wanted to be with Michael. He calmed me down when I needed it most... just like in the dream.

An officer came and opened the door to let me out of the cell block. Michael quickly grabbed my hand and gave it a small squeeze before the officer saw.

I glanced back at him as I left, he smiled at me kindly. That friendly Michael Scofield smile I was growing to love.

-

"Elise, I'm so sorry" the governor explained "I feel I have really let you down"

"These things happen..." I mumbled.

"No honestly, I deeply am. I know what you went through with your father, and having to see that brutal attack today... I completely understand if you no longer wish to continue your position at Fox River... I can get you transferred to a ladies institute?" he said.

I probably would have taken up the opportunity to leave this place, it's definitely wasn't what I was expecting. I have worked at Fox River for less than one week and I've already been attacked and witnessed a guard getting murdered... the same type of attack that killed my dad.

But I just couldn't leave. I wanted to be close to Michael.

"I'm fine, I'd like to stay" I said confidently.

"I'm glad to hear it Elise, here, this is for you" the governor replied, he opened a brown file and pulled out a photograph. He handed to me. It was of my dad, he was wearing his Fox River uniform. He looked so smart and happy. It made me smile.

"Thank you" I said, "this means a lot"

"That was your fathers first day, he'll always be one of my best officers"

"Can I ask Sir, who murdered my father?" I questioned. Me and my family were never told this information when he passed away.

"I'm not supposed to tell you but I think you deserve to know... the inmates name is Theodore Bagwell"

T-Bag killed that guard today, he also killed my dad...

Am I next?