Chapter Fifteen

I tapped on the door to the Governor's office. I felt my heart racing, ready to pass out at any minute. How do I even explain all of this to the director of the prison? Maybe this is my get out clause...

"Officer Moretti hello, please come in" the Governor spoke. I entered the office to see Michael sat at the desk. He glanced towards me, cracking a slight smile. His eyes looked soft and sad, this worried me.

"What's this about?" I questioned.

"Sit" the Governor instructed. I slowly sat in the chair next to Michael, I could feel him looking at me. "As you may be aware, the Lincoln Burrows execution is taking place tomorrow... Michael here, being family of Mr Burrows, is able to attend the execution. I ask that you be the supporting officer for Michael please"

"Umm ok, but sir... why me?" I asked, maybe he didn't know about me and Michael after all?

"I discussed with Michael, and we decided given the situation, you would be the most adequate officer for the job" the Governor spoke again.

"Most adequate?" I questioned.

"I believed because of what you went thought with your father you'd be the most empathetic officer to be there... you'll understand what I'm going though..." Michael spoke. I bit my cheek avoiding eye contact.

I was somewhat relieved that the meeting wasn't 'me getting fired for sleeping with an inmate' but I felt a mixture of emotions at Michael's words. I was still so upset with him, yet I was almost glad that he felt he could confide in me during this difficult time?

"Fine. I'll be there tomorrow" I said as I stood up and left the office without another word.

-

I felt sick with nerves. I can't believe I agreed to this, even worse I can't believe what is happening to Lincoln today. Especially knowing he's innocent.

I arrived at work at little early, I put my current 'hate' for Michael aside. I was better than that, yes he lied to me, yes he used me to try and escape, but I would never wish what he is about to go through on even my worst enemy.

I reached the main cell block, all of the inmates had begun to wake up. I walked over to Michael's cell. It was so hard not to show how nervous I was. I peered in to see Sucre still in bed and Michael sat on the edge of his bunk. He looked up at me, his face looked dull and his eyes were bloodshot. He clearly hasn't slept all night.

I gave him a sympathetic smile. It hurt me to see him hurt, I cannot deny I still care about him. He slowly stood up, no emotion in his face. I pressed the switch to open his cell, he stepped out next to me without a word. I locked the cell back up and lead Michael out of the building.

"Would you like any breakfast?" I said, finally breaking the ice.

"I'm good... thanks" he mumbled.

"Michael, I'm so sor...." I began.

"Don't" he said, "This is all my fault".

"What is your fault?" I questioned as we walked together.

"Everything... I ran out of time" he said. "Elise, I owe you an explanation"

"Michael, I'm not ready to have this conversation" I said.

"No please, I promise you, everything I feel for you is real. Elise ... I am completely and madly in love with you, it was never my intention to hurt you, just let me explain" he said. My stomach filled with butterflies at his words, I knew I was still madly in love with him too.

"Michael, I've risked so much for you... and to find out you were planning to escape this whole time... I just felt..."

"I was trying to break Lincoln out" he began. "I'm not a criminal, I committed a crime just to get in here so I could set him free. I ran out of time, now I'm stuck here and he's..." I saw Michael's eyes begin to water slightly. Without even thinking I grabbed him, hugging him tightly, squeezing his strong body in my arms. I couldn't even imagine what he must be going through.

I quickly remembered where I was and stopped hugging him. I looked around us, luckily no one saw.

"I never imagined I'd come in here and meet you, you threw me off guard completely" he said.

"Why didn't you tell me? I opened up to you? Didn't you feel like you could do the same?" I quizzed.

"I didn't want to get you involved, you were risking your job enough with me" he mumbled. We reached the building where the execution was taking place.  I slowly opened the door and guided Michael inside.

We were met by some other guards and some very official looking people. One of the guards came straight over to us.

"We're holding Burrows in the meeting room, you may take Scofield in to say his final goodbyes. My heart skipped at beat at those words. I couldn't imagine what Michael must have been feeling.

We headed over to the door of the meeting room, Michael stood beside me as I keyed in the code to the door. Just as I was opening the door, I gave Michael's hand a very quick squeeze before anyone could see. I wanted to give him as much reassurance as I could.

I left Michael and Lincoln alone in there, I waited outside the door. Everything was so surreal, I couldn't believe the execution was happening in a matter of hours. This wasn't fair. Lincoln was innocent. There must be something I can do to stop this?

No other guards were around, I slowly pressed my ear against the door to listen to Michael and Lincoln's conversation.

"Don't be stupid Michael, you did all you could" I heard Lincoln say.

"It's all my fault, I've fucked it all up. I ran out of time, the plan wasn't ready, I just couldn't bring myself to ask Elise for help. And now you're... and I'm stuck here... and" Michael replied. He needed my help?

"You can still get out you know. No one knows this place better than you" said Lincoln. Wonder what he meant by this?

"But what is my life on the outside without my brother?" Michael said, his words caused my chest to ache.

"My son needs his uncle Michael, look after LJ for me" Lincoln spoke again.

I heard footsteps and quickly stopped eavesdropping. I needed to do something, I needed to stop the execution. I looked at the clock, 4 hours until it takes place.

Suddenly I had an idea. I remembered Michael mentioned there were people working on the outside trying to prove Lincoln's innocence...

I quickly looked around me, I saw a guard and waved him over.

"Can you just guard the inmates for me, something has come up" I said quickly.

"Moretti what do you mean?" the guard quizzed.

I ran out of the building before he could stop me. I had one shot to save Lincoln's life. I had to take it.